51

"Do you remember what I said after I were shot?"

Ella frowned. It wasn't the question she was expecting as she walked into their bedroom. She'd just gotten the twins to bed after they'd played with their toys a bit. She didn't like to think about that day. Didn't like to think about the call from Ollie that nearly made her heart stop. Instead, she liked to think about how far he'd come in his recovery. That was the best to think about, not about the agonizing pain he was in when the medication wore off.

But she wasn't going to ignore his question. "You said a lot of things."

"What did I say though? Do you remember?" Alfie patted the bed next to him, inviting her to sit.

His wife sighed and instead went to get changed for bed. Cyril nosed open the door and plodded inside. He was gentle with the twins but Anthea was the guard dog. From the moment they were brought home, she appointed herself their protector. She slept in the middle of the room between the two cots. Every time Alfie or Ella went to open the door to tend after the twins, she let out a low growl until she realized who it was.

"I don't know, Alfie, it was a difficult time." Ella put on a nightgown and went to brush her hair at her vanity.

"No, I know. I just...Tommy were talking 'bout-" Alfie paused. He wasn't sure whether bringing up the morphine was wise. "Don't matter, I was just wondering if I said anything interesting or if it were just all nonsense."

Ella looked at him in the mirror. She set her hairbrush down with a sigh and went to join him on the bed. "You spoke about me a lot." She finally admitted.

He raised an eyebrow. "Yeah? What about?"

A faint smile formed on her face as she recalled sitting beside his hospital bed in Southampton. She'd keep a hand on his stomach or chest to feel every inhale and exhale he took. Hypervigilant, she wanted to make sure he was okay every second. When he stirred, she rubbed his shoulder comfortingly and murmured reassurances. Reminding him where he was and to not touch the bandages on his face. He barely responded to her in the beginning. Just mumbled incoherently and drifted back off. But the more he healed, the longer he stayed conscious and the more he said to her.

"You talked to me like I was someone else." She reached for his hand. "You were telling me about your wife. And you-" Tears began to form in her eyes. "You told me how in love you were. Told me about our wedding day and how beautiful you thought I was.

Alfie chuckled. "That sounds 'bout right. Can't imagine what else I would talk about."

"Well, you mentioned Cyril more than a few times." She giggled and wiped her tears.

"Yeah, that makes sense too." He rubbed the back of his neck. "Can't really remember much from that time. Guess I should be grateful for that."

Ella hummed in agreement and leaned into his side. "What matters now is we're together and we're going to be okay."

Tommy's warning crept up on Alfie like a large insect crawling up his back. He wanted to agree with her, tell her everything was going to be okay. But it was rare that he could get anything past his wife. If Alfie started working with Tommy, guaranteed she would find out before they even shook hands on the deal.

"Tommy mentioned something else." He cleared his throat and wrapped an arm around her for support.

"When you were talking earlier?"