The Secret Marriage

//Alfie and Ella's marriage that never made it into Blue Eyes. Basically DVD extras for my own fic.

            "El? You ready, love?" Alfie lightly rapped his knuckles against the door. "Don't wanna rush you or anything, just wondering if you needed help or something."

"I think I'm all set. But it's not fair, you're not supposed to see me!" Ella replied from inside the bedroom.

"That old tradition? Well, it ain't really a traditional wedding." He pointed out even if it sounded a little blunt. It certainly wasn't traditional for either one of them. There would be no strict Jewish marriage traditions, no Catholic traditions, no Traveler traditions.

They were simply walking down the street to the council to get legally married. It had all happened very suddenly. Alfie was concerned about Luca Changretta arriving without warning and what danger that might put Ella in.

He was voicing his concerns to Ollie who had noticed his boss's sudden bouts of irritation.

"Well, are you worried about what might happen if...well if something happens?" Ollie skirted around the idea of Ella dying. Anyone knew it was one of Alfie's biggest fears and that Alfie didn't like his fears being spoken about out loud.

"Could be either of us." He admitted, running a hand over his beard.

"Well, sir, you know that Luca isn't going to target you specifically."

"Fucking hell, I know that!" He snapped. "But if it comes down to Ella or me, I'm going to make sure it's me."

A man's love for his significant other was powerful indeed. Ollie knew he would take a bullet for his wife. But then it brought on more anxiety of wondering if she would be taken care of if she was widowed.

"Are you worried about what happens if she loses you?" Ollie ventured carefully into the touchy subject.

Alfie sighed, his shoulders slumping. "She'd be all alone. Won't even talk to her family, it's that bad."

"Well, she has plenty of friends here, your family as well to take care of her. We wouldn't let her go without." Ollie reassured him. His role slipping over to being a friend rather than just an employee.

"Don't even have a will," Alfie muttered to himself. "Have a higher chance of dying than anyone else 'round here and I can't even have the balls to write a fucking will."

"I mean, I suppose if you married Ella then wouldn't your money go to her?" His assistant proposed.

Alfie stared ahead at the wall. Marriage. They'd discussed it in passing before but there were other things to think about. Their relationship would be the same no matter what their legal status was. Yet, if something were to happen to Alfie, would that leave Ella without?

"I guess that's a conversation we ought to have."

~~~~~~~~~

And they did. Ella tried to brush off his worry that anything would happen to either of them, but she agreed that maybe it was time to consider putting their affairs in order. Most people did when they were adults and had finances. Plus, they were both clear to one another that their relationship would last. Ella wasn't planning on leaving Alfie and he sure as hell wasn't going anywhere either.

"Just don't expect anyone from my side of the family to show up," Ella said with a bitter smile.

"Well, that's another thing, innit?" Alfie shifted uncomfortably in his armchair. "Not sure we could have a standard Jewish wedding, seeing as you're..."

"Not Jewish." She nodded. "I understand."

"But s'alright. Tradition was never my priority." Alfie decided even though there would be some flak from the community, he was going to stand strong with whatever they decided to do.

"Maybe, we should just get the marriage license. Call it a day." Ella shrugged sheepishly. "I'm not holding out for some big lavish affair unless you are."

He barked out a laugh. "When have I ever wanted to go to a party? Won't lie to you and say that a big wedding sounds like a dream to me. Sounds nightmarish, actually."

"So, then the council might just be a nice option for us." They shared a smile as they planned how they would get married.

~~~~~~~~~~'

It was only suitable, that they should do it in their own way instead of bending to the will of their friends and family. They were both too headstrong to ever let that happen. Besides, it was their day, they were meant to be the happy ones. They shouldn't have to commemorate their love for each other by putting on a show for others.

So, they set a date a week from then to go down to the council together to get the license and say their legal vows.

"Oh, well I suppose you're right." Ella finished putting in her pearl earrings and opened the bedroom door.

A smile spread across Alfie's face. She wasn't dressed in a wedding gown, but she had bought a new dress for the occasion. A quarter-sleeve turquoise tiered dress that fell just below the knee. Her hair was in curls, and her bangs were pinned back with a pearl barrette that matched her earrings and necklace. Elegantly stylish, Alfie thought she was a breath of fresh air in a coal-covered city.

"You look gorgeous, love." He murmured softly.

"You cleaned up well too." She drew him in for a quick kiss.

Alfie brought out a bouquet of flowers for her and she laughed softly.

"I thought we weren't being traditional." She murmured against his lips.

"I follow me own rules." He reminded her. "And I know how much you like flowers."

Ella took the flowers in one hand and his hand in the other. "Do you think now that we'll be married, we'll get bored with one another?" She asked, walking downstairs with him.

"Bored?" He raised an eyebrow. "You ain't ever been boring to me. Always surprising me every day."

She smiled and stopped by the door to kiss his cheek. "Last chance to run, Solomons." She teased.

"Love, your brothers could show up, guns out, and I'd still marry you," Alfie replied confidently. "Trust me, you'll see the ring and realize how serious I am." He patted his breast pocket where he was keeping their wedding rings safe.

Ella linked arms with him as they walked down to the council. "As if jewelry is what kept me around." She rolled her eyes. "You don't give yourself enough credit."

"You're so sweet to me." He chuckled. "Suppose that's why I'm marrying you, aye?"

She glanced up at him with a coy glint in her eyes. "It's not just to piss of Tommy? A clever revenge plot?"

Alfie sighed with a smile and reached into his pocket to retrieve her wedding ring. "Expensive plot."

Ella stopped in her tracks. "Wh-is that real?" She gawked at the stone on the golden band.

"Of course, it is, you think I'd really give you some fake stone?" He teased. "Hope it proves my loyalty to you."

She pulled him close to kiss him softly. "You've proven how much you love me every day." She murmured softly.

He smiled against her lips. "C'mon, Mrs. Solomons."

"Ah, ah, not yet." She corrected and drew away to keep walking. "You need to marry me first."

Alfie chuckled. "Very well, Miss Shelby. Very well."