34

Instinct set in quickly. He drew his gun and turned to fire at the car that was already speeding off. His hand was shaking and he only managed to hit the side and a street lamp.

"Alfie."

Her voice brought his attention back. Alfie pocketed his gun and rushed to her. Both hands clutched over her stomach. Blood was already starting to seep into the blue fabric of her dress.

His hands were shaking. He'd seen countless wounds of all sorts. In France, he had to learn a little bit of trench first aids to keep his subordinates alive. He knew how to get a bullet out and wasn't too shabby at stitching someone back up. But seeing his wife bleeding caused him to hurtle into such a state of panic that he couldn't even see straight.

"A-Alfie." She began to cry. Her blue eyes rolling up to look at the sky above her.

"Sh, sh, s'alright." He had to force his brain and body to work. Pulling off his coat, he wrapped it around her torso, pulling at the sleeves to keep it snug. It was no proper tourniquet but it would have to do. "I've got you. It'll be alright." He bent down to pick her up.

She inhaled sharply at the movement and wailed in pain.

"I know love, I know." Alfie's heart was racing so fast. Closest ally. Polly. Polly was one street over. Closest ally, closest telephone.

~~~~~~~~~~

Polly was a bit more levelheaded than Alfie but that wasn't saying much. The woman couldn't take another loss so she was damn well sure her niece would survive.

"Finn!" She shouted for the youngest Shelby. "Call an ambulance!" She rushed Alfie into the parlor and got Ella onto the couch. "Go to the kitchen, get as many towels as you can." She ordered Alfie.

"Polly..." Ella moaned. "Polly, the babies."

"Hush, chavi, you're safe." Her aunt soothed and opened Ella's blouse so she could find the wound.

Her breathing began to become shallower. Tears streamed down her face. "Polly, please. Please save them." She pled helplessly.

Alfie returned with the towels and passed them over to Polly one by one. He crouched by Ella's head, holding her hand and trying to calm her down.

She screamed when Polly attempted to soak up the blood and apply pressure. It wasn't out of pain. It was agonizing grief and rage.

~~~~~~~~~~~

The ambulance arrived shortly after and whisked Ella to the hospital. While she was in surgery, Alfie waited outside in the hallway. It felt like he was slowly being crushed. He slid to the ground, his arms over his head. Ella's screams echoed in his mind.

He stayed there. Long enough for Tommy to pass by him and speak with the doctor. The man returned to stand across from Alfie. But he didn't speak.

Finally, the silence got to Alfie. He was terrified of the answers to the questions that he asked. "She okay?"

"Yeah," Tommy answered. "She's sleeping now. Doctor says she'll wake up in a bit."

He exhaled shakily. "The babies?"

There was a pause. Tommy was afraid of unleashing Alfie's wrath in the middle of the hospital but he had no choice. "They're gone. She miscarried."