#3 Making friends

EXT. UNIVERSITY ENTRANCE - MORNING

Charlotte is standing in front of the help desk. She picks up a piece of the campus's leaflet which contains information and a map of the campus. She then checks her offer letter, just to be sure about the time and the lecture hall.

CHARLOTTE
(mumbling to herself while looking up the location of the lecture hall on the map)
Now where is the lecture hall...... Let's see..... Ah! Found it! Block F1.....

Before Charlotte could finish her sentence, a girl came out of nowhere and points on the map indicating where the lecture hall is.

EMILY
(slightly ashamed for creeping on a stranger)
It's F1A4. I can't help but overheard that you're looking for the same lecture hall as me so.... I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable!

CHARLOTTE
(surprised but soon after smiles and puts her hand out for a handshake)
Hi! I'm Charlotte Anderson. Don't worry about that, and thank you for pointing out the direction for me! This is my first day here.

Emily stuck her hand out and shakes Charlotte's hand. She looks delighted after Charlotte's reassurance, phew she thought she'll miss her chance of making her first friend.

EMILY
Emily Carmichael. I'm new here too! I mean, I checked into the dorm about a week ago? So I'm somewhat familiar with the surroundings here. Are you in the Literature program as well?

CHARLOTTE
Yes! Well I signed up for the program online, missed the induction week, so this is the first time I'm officially here on campus.

EMILY
I'll lead the way to the lecture hall then. Perhaps show you around, give you a little tour later?

CHARLOTTE
(moved by Emily's thoughtful gesture and offer)
Thanks! Yet this morning I was worried if I wouldn't make any friends on the first day.
Ugh I sound like a high school girl.... fml

EMILY
(laughs)
Don't worry, you're not the only one.

Emily leads the way and about 3 minutes of walking and chatting, they arrived at the lecture hall.

-------------------------------

INT. LECTURE HALL - MORNING

Charlotte gazed in awe as this lecture hall is twice the size of the hall from her previous University. She's surprised that despite it being a big hall, the seats were almost fully occupied.

CHARLOTTE
Well this is nothing like what I've experienced in undergraduate.

EMILY
(laughs a little)
Let's find ourselves a seat, shall we? By the way, my eye sight isn't that good once the lights are dimmed so can we sit closer to the lecturer's seat so that I can have a good look on the projector screen?

CHARLOTTE
Yeah, sure. I'm okay with that.

Emily then notices that there are a couple of empty seats in the front row.

After they had settled down, a group of students sat down beside them and starts introducing themselves.

ELIZABETH
Hello you two! I don't recall seeing you both in the undergraduate program... New here? I'm Elizabeth Kensington and this is my boyfriend, Charles. Kingsley, Scarlet and Shawn, they are always late though. Maybe I can introduce them later?