#23 Mind your own business

INT. CAR - EVENING

After getting groceries and saying good bye to Chris, the Cumberbatches got back into their car and continue driving back home.

BENEDICT
So, what are we having for dinner?

Charlotte is looking out the window, deep in thought and so she didn't notice Benedict had just asked her a question.

BENEDICT
Charlotte?

CHARLOTTE
Ah, yes?

BENEDICT
(Concerned)
Are you alright?

CHARLOTTE
(Says softly)
Yes...

Benedict pulls the car over at the side of the road and turn to face Charlotte.

BENEDICT
Are you sure you're okay? You hasn't been talking since we met Chris. What's wrong?

CHARLOTTE
(Looks away from Benedict)
It's nothing... really.

BENEDICT
(Keeps questioning Charlotte)
Did Chris said something that offended you in anyway? If so, I'd apologise on his behalf. If not, I wouldn't know what's bothering you unless you talk to me.

CHARLOTTE
(Sigh)
No, Benedict. It was nice meeting Chris. Getting to know your friends.... and you a little better,
(Looks at Benedict)
it was really nice.

BENEDICT
Then what's the matter?

CHARLOTTE
(Looks down again)
It's just that, um... I sort of overheard your conversation with him earlier, when I wasn't there yet.
(Looks at Benedict, shakes her hand and head at the same time)
N-not eavesdropping, though!

BENEDICT
(Finds Charlotte's reaction adorable but manage to hold his laughter back)
And...?

CHARLOTTE
And.... I can't help but notice he mentioned a certain someone...
(Says softly)
name Diana?

Benedict's smile wears off and adjust his position on his seat back. He did not answer Charlotte's question and so she continue speaking.

CHARLOTTE
So is she a friend of yours as well? An old classmate like Chris? Where is she now? I don't think I remember you talking about her at all.

He started the car engine and says coldly,

BENEDICT
She was a friend of mine. Now if you'd stop asking questions, I think we're ready to go home. Oh, and maybe next time you could try minding your own business and not poke your nose into someone else's?

CHARLOTTE
(Blinks rapidly)
W-what...? But he WAS the one questioning me at the first place? And why the sudden change in behaviour? That was a little nice of him worrying about me earlier but then in a split second he's back in his old self? Is he bipolar or something?? I was just curious!
(Scoffs)
Not that it mattered to me anyway...

Ironically, the radio is now playing Soap by Melanie Martinez

I'm tired of being careful, gentle,
trying to keep the water warm.
Let me under your skin.
Uh-oh, there it goes,
I said too much,
it overflowed.
Why do I always spill?
I feel it coming out my throat.
Guess I better wash my mouth out with soap.
God, I wish I never spoke.
Now I gotta wash my mouth out with soap.

CHARLOTTE
(Looks at Benedict for a second before turning her head to the window)
Guess I better wash MY mouth out with soap.

The ride back was quiet and one thing for sure, the silence wasn't a comfortable one.
In the end of the day, the two of them got take outs for dinner.
Because Benedict hasn't apologise to her, or even speak to her, Charlotte has decided to sleep back on couch.
Benedict looked at her as she brings her pillow and blanket back on the couch, he said nothing and switches off the lights in the room.

---------------------------

INT. LIBRARY - MORNING

Charlotte's morning class was cancelled and she knew about it, but somehow she felt like she needed to get out of the house and be in somewhere where Benedict's presence will not affect her mood.

She decides to read something in the library before her next class, and of course, before her noisy girlfriends come reminding her about yesterday.

CHARLOTTE
(Biting on the end of her pen)
Again, I was just curious and there's nothing wrong with being curious right? All I did was asked a question...well maybe not just one but like three at most? Three simple questions! Did he really have to give me a silent treatment for asking three innocent questions? He was even okay with me sleeping back on the couch? The same guy that didn't want to let me leave his embrace two mornings ago? Wait... what am I thinking....? It's not like I care about him.... about us! What is wrong with you Charlotte Anderson!

Charlotte is struggling with her own thoughts, someone sat in front of her.

It's Tom. He hasn't talk to Benedict since their last meeting but he planned on doing it now. Just as he was about to leave the library, he saw Charlotte sitting alone looking puzzled.

TOM
(Smiles)
You know, if you're hungry I can always treat you breakfast... or lunch, or brunch, anything you like. There's no need to chew on the poor pen.

CHARLOTTE
(Raises her head and looks at Tom)
Tom! Hi! I didn't realise you were here.

TOM
Hmm... someone must have been buried really deep in her own thought, huh? Guess I shouldn't have interrupted you, I'm sorry.

Charlotte blushes and looks slightly embarrassed.

CHARLOTTE
No, please don't say sorry, it was nothing. I was just... thinking.... about stuffs.

TOM
(Chuckles)
I was just kidding. Well, a penny for your thoughts?

CHARLOTTE
I don't think it's appropriate for me to tell you this but I have a question for you.

TOM
(Worried)
Wow.. you sounded serious. Sure, I'd tell you anything I know if that's what makes you feel better.

CHARLOTTE
I know you've been friends with Bene- umm... Professor Cumberbatch for quite some time now... did he ever mention about Diana?

TOM
(Clears throat and blinks a few times)
D-diana? It sure sounded familiar.... before I can remember where and how I heard of this name, may I know why do you ask?

Charlotte then tells Tom about the whole story.

TOM
(Furious)
He told you to mind your own business? He said that to you, his own wife, for being curious about his past? Even though I understand how much he loves Diana but how could he say that to you-

It was honestly unintended.

CHARLOTTE
(Stunned and opens her mouth slightly)
He...loves her?

----------------------------

ITHANK YOU so much for the 4k reads!♡
I am so so so so so a thousand times sorry for the late update & also for not being able to update as frequent as I used to. Something came up and I really had to deal with it first! :( But I'm back! Yay! Hopefully I'll be able to update more now~ I'd like to apologise again if this chapter is a little frustrating but it'll all be good, trust me!
Love, C x.