#29 Sweet like the coffee she made

INT. LECTURE THEATRE - MORNING

RACHEL
(Speaking in front of the projector screen)
One of the great mysteries of life is the origin of language. We use it every day to communicate with each other, but how did it begin? For thousands of years people have sought the answer, and of course in our day many people seek an explanation in terms of a long, gradual development. But is this realistic?

The class chatters and shares small discussion while some student are taking notes.
Rachel then continues her talk.

ELIZABETH
(Asks Charlotte and Emily)
Are you guys free on the weekends?

EMILY
(Taking notes and not looking up)
Uhhhh... I think so?

CHARLOTTE
Benedict is leaving for the camp soon... I should probably take advantage of that and hang out more with Lizzy and Emily.
Yeah, I think I'm free.

ELIZABETH
(Excited)
I heard from Charles that there's a new bar opening just a few streets away. Do you girls wanna hang out on say Sunday night?

CHARLOTTE
Sure, I-

RACHEL
(Stares at Charlotte)
Miss Anderson, I'm glad that you and your friend are highly interested in today's topic, judging from the discussion that you guys are sharing right now, do you mind sharing your thought on what is language to you?

CHARLOTTE
(Feeling a little anxious and unsure about the answer)
I think language is a system of symbols that represent things and ideas.

Rachel did not respond to her answer which leads her to explain more on her point.

CHARLOTTE
The most obvious symbols in language are the sounds that we say, where a sequence of sounds carries the meaning we want to express. But there are other symbols too, like the writing that you are reading now, and the sign language used by the deaf. Whenever two or more people share a common set of symbols, they are able to use them to share ideas and information.

RACHEL
(Lets out a light and not noticeable scoff)
It's.... about right. Thank you Miss Anderson. But do you mind discussing after the class ends and not when I'm still conducting the seminar next time?
(Looks at other student and continues her talk)

EMILY
(Whispering)
Oh.my.god. I swear I saw her scoffing at your answer.

ELIZABETH
Me too! What's the deal with her? It's only seminar not a lecture. And we were meant to discuss in a seminar!?

CHARLOTTE
Ugh.. I knew I hated her for a reason. But why does it feels like she hates me too?
It's our fault too... we shouldn't have talked about our plans for the weekend in class.

ELIZABETH
She wasn't this harsh back when I did my undergraduate programme with her.

EMILY
Does she have a boyfriend? Or is she married?

ELIZABETH
(Thinking)
Umm... not that I know of? She's really close with....
(Looks at Charlotte)
Professor Cumberbatch though...

CHARLOTTE
(Pretend to write down the notes)
Um, yeah. Benedict told me about her. Said she was a responsible assistant and a good friend to him.