bystander onlooker

They came one night, holding hands and laughing at the others words. I wondered why they were here, it's the middle of nowhere. But as the night wore on I realised they were here for exactly that reason, to be alone. Night after night they came and it became clear that the two were falling in love. They star gazed and held hands, kissed and laughed, danced to no music and braided each other's hair. They fell deeper and deeper in love. Eyes twinkling. They told everything to each other. Kept no secrets. Yet one night the girl didn't come, the other searched for her, ringing and texting. No response and so her face grew worried. The next night she turned up, dressed in a white night gown, tubes crawling up her neck over her ears and under her nose. A stark bracelet with the word terminal scrawled over it like mold.
    The other fall to knees, begging them to tell them it isn't real, that it's some sort of sick prank. But no, I hear no laughs, only sobs and the hugs that means more than ever. Over the next month the girl becomes frailer, skinnier and more quiet. The laugh sounds horse and smile like her last. But they continue falling in love, being there for each other.
    Until one night, the heavens refused to take heed of the weather reports and stayed dry, allowing them to meet, the sunset splitting the sky. They braided each others hair and then lay down, the girl coughed and the other jumped, scared. Another cough had the girl being swept into the others arms, muttered words of don't you dare leave me. Not yet. The girl smiles and checks the vine like tubes. But she notices that the vitamins had stopped coming. The tubes no longer helping carrying her life. A pale hand on a glimmering cheek. Shaking their head they look down at the best part of themselves. Hating that feeling of sand slipping through their fingers. With shining eyes the girl whispers her final loves. But the other doesn't accept it, still shaking their head, "I wish I had more time, but I'll always be with you."