6| i'm falling fast, i hope this lasts

A/N: so i'm back with another chapter, my longest one yet! 9k words... enjoy, comment, and vote!! also interact with me, ask questions through the comments or speak your mind bc i'll be responding :)

***

Another week passes and Friday rolls around. The last Friday before the dance. The four friends find themselves accompanied by Ethel Muggs during lunch at their now usual table. She has been gushing over Jughead the whole lunch period with Betty silently fuming beside her. Meanwhile Toni and Cheryl have spent their lunch time playing an innocent game of footsie beneath the table beside each other.

However, as a whole, the five of them have been engaging in random childhood memories and future jobs they want after high school. When it's down to five minutes left of lunch Betty insistently eyes her best friend. Throughout lunch she's been giving Cheryl urging eyes telling her to pop the question and ask Toni to the harvest dance like she said she would, but the girl has been too nervous to.

She spent days on end figuring out the best way to ask. She wanted to do something extravagant for someone so wonderful. The several different ideas and plans had stressed Cheryl out so much that she confided in Jughead to figure out what the best option was. Turns out Toni wasn't a big fan of cliche over the top asks which were Cheryl's instinct. Every girl wants to be presented with something over the top at least once in their lifetime, even if they say otherwise. Cheryl really wanted to go all out for the pink haired girl. The pink haired girl who gives her free candy at the movies. The pink haired girl who makes her blush. The pink haired girl who stands up for her. The pink haired girl who goes out of her way to make the redhead feel important. The pink haired girl who makes her feel warm inside. She wants to make Toni feel warm just like how she makes her feel everyday. She wants to showcase how much she values having Toni in her life.

For example, Cheryl wanted to maybe cover her entire locker with pink post-it notes with only the center one asking her to the dance. Or ask permission from the movie theater owner so she could come in before school ended to create a trail of roses from the entrance door to the concession area where she'd sit on the counter holding up a large card to ask with a dozen roses sitting in her lap or even volumes of roses lining the counters the girl works behind.

Yet, Jughead is her best friend so he knows her better than anyone. So she decided to casually ask her like he suggested, but at every chance she got Cheryl was just too nervous. This is her last chance to ask her face to face before school ends. However, she knew she could still ask her tonight at their sleepover or send her a text instead, but Cheryl didn't want to be anxious the rest of her school day.

This is it.

"Toni, can I ask you something?" Cheryl starts focusing on keeping her breathing steady so the proper words come out. When the pink haired girl turns to look into her chocolate eyes she almost drastically changes the topic, but she needs it do this before she chickens out again.

"W-would you g-" the redhead begins getting cut off by...drums?

The whole cafeteria turns to the right as the school's drum-line barges in beating loudly on their drums to a familiar tune. The vixens trail in behind them in their cheerleading uniforms. Cheryl's whole table's eyes furrow when they all specifically get in formation in front of their table. A few vixens place white cardboard signs down on the ground behind them. Wait, the pep rallies are usually at the end of the school day not at lunch.

"What's going on?" Betty asks aloud over the drums filled with confusion. The friends watch as the vixens begin to dance, gyrating and pointing towards their table. The marching band in the background playing their hearts out scattered all on top of the empty cafeteria tables.