sixteen

Veronica

Veronica.

My day at school had been normal except for the fact that Ariel wasn't there to cause trouble and I received various sympathetic looks from other students and even teachers. The school had informed my parents about the incident earlier that morning, I had to uncomfortably sit there and watch their reaction.

My parents had scheduled a dinner with Shawn's family but this time it was at his house. Over the past couple of weeks, our parents had gotten significantly close. I honestly don't know how that happened, my parents are very business focused while Shawn's are more family-oriented.

A couple seconds after my dad firmly knocked on the large wooden door the door was swiftly opened by Manny, who had a bright welcoming smile on his face. Aaliyah stood behind and she ran towards me and embraced me in a hug. I noticed the aroma of the roast dinner being prepared as we approached the dining room, I could see Shawn helping his mom in the kitchen.

His hair looking as fluffy as always, he wore a plain white t-shirt and skinny blue trousers. Karen turned her head and smiled at me before saying something to Shawn, he turned around to look in my direction and gave a small smile. I walked to the kitchen while my parents continued to speak to Manny and Aaliyah played on her iPad. When I reached the kitchen I politely greeted Karen.

"Do you need any help? I don't mind helping out," I suggested to her.

She shook her head lightly, "There's no need for that but thank you. Shawn, why don't you stop helping me and talk to Veronica while I finish up," she smiled.

"But I thought you wanted me to- " he protested but was interrupted before he had the chance to finish. It was obvious that he didn't really want to speak to me because of how awkward it was between us.

"You can go, it's okay," she insisted.

"No, don't worry. I'll go talk to Aaliyah," I told Shawn before leaving the kitchen, my heart felt a little heavy but I ignored it.

I heard footsteps close behind me; I didn't turn because I knew it was Shawn.

"Wait," he said before lightly taking a hold of my wrist and slightly tugging so I would turn around.

His tall figure stood over my small one, "Do you wanna go up to my room and just talk? We don't have to if you don't want to," he asked nervously.

I shrugged, "If you're fine with it then sure," this brought a frown to his lips.

"Why wouldn't I be okay with it?"

"It seemed like you didn't want to come and talk to me when your mom asked you so..." I told him not knowing what else to say.

"I'm sorry about that. It's just that it has been very awkward between us and I wasn't sure you wanted to talk to me," he apologised and I tried my hardest to keep myself from smiling but it didn't work which his smile grow wide too.

With that, he intertwined our hands and ran up to his room dragging me along with him.

At first, it was a little awkward since we hadn't had a proper conversation in a while but that was eased as the conversation continued. We didn't talk about much, we caught up with the things we missed. Shortly after we were called to begin our dinner, it felt like everything was back to normal. Well, almost everything.

-

Seven thirty.

Our backs leaned on the brick tiles as we watched the sky blankly. Me and Shawn became more comfortable around each other in the past couple of hours. We were just enjoying each others company.

"I forgot to ask you; how was your date with Jack?" he asked me but he was still staring up at the sky.

"Umm...it was really good. The restaurant he took me too was amazing and the roller skating just made the night a lot better. He was a gentleman," I told him briefly.

"Glad you enjoyed it," his voice was monotoned.

"Are you okay with is us dating?" my chest rose and fell as I expected his answer to be negative.

"Yeah, you guys seem to really like each other and no one should get in the way of that. I just want the both of you to be happy. Are you happy with him?" he finally turned his head to look at me.

"I am. But are you happy?"

Unknown number:
Just know that I'll always wait.

{vote,comment and share}

This is a filler chapter sorry :( but my dms are always open if anyone wants to talk. Btw thank you all so much for getting me on the Shawnmendes leaderboard, it feels amazing!!❤️❤️