thirty three

I recommend you play Two Ghosts by Harry Styles and Too much to as by Niall Horan while reading this chapter :)

Veronica.

Our final exams had officially started and I just really wanted to get them over with. I'd been trying to study and get some rest more frequently. I'd been spending a lot of time with Alessia for the past few days, I'd seen Jack twice since the party but things seemed odd.

I arrived to school and quickly made it to my locker to leave the heavy books that had accumulated in my bag. My first exam was chemistry, which I somewhat knew I could pass. I didn't have a clue what I'd be doing after high school but I didn't feel the need to rush.

I walked to my chemistry class as soon as the bell rang, I didn't find the test too hard but it felt good, we were allowed to go back home at lunch time.

Jack had texted me, asking if we could hang out after school. So I drove back home and changed my clothes before he picked me up.

"Hi babe!" I ran towards him excitedly and gave him a hug.

"Hey, you seem happy. Did the test go well?" he asked while holding my face so I was looking up at him.

"Yup, I think I did okay. So what are doing today?"

"Taking you to an art exhibition, some food and then I'll drive you somewhere, sounds like a plan?"

"Mhm, but can we get churros? I really want some," I pouted.

"Anything you want," he took my hand and led us to the car, driving towards a familiar diner.

The whole way there I noticed that Jack was acting a bit weird. He hadn't sang or hummed along to the radio like he usually did, in fact there wasn't any music playing. He'd shift in his seat every couple of minutes and he didn't try to start a conversation with me. But I dismissed it and looked out of the window instead.

We got out of the car once we reached the diner. Jack stuffed his hands into his pockets instead of holding my hand like he normally did. Something was definitely wrong.

"What would you like to order?" asked the old woman behind the counter.

"Can I please get two vanilla milkshakes and churros to share?" Jack ordered.

"Is that all?" 

Jack nods and proceeds to pay before we find an empty booth. It was a small cafe, never too full. We sat opposite each other, I looked around the cozy space as I played with the ends of my green sweater since Jack seemed to be occupied by his phone.

In short time our order arrived, the waitress placed the churro-filled basket in the middle of the table and handed us our drinks.

"You've been quiet," I muttered.

"Uh, yeah sorry. Just stuff with my mom about going to college," he replied.

"I thought you didn't want to go to college."