twenty five

Veronica

Veronica.

"I... like you and I know you're with Jack so I'm not going to get in between you two as long as you're happy," Shawn revealed.

Once he finished speaking we fell silent, I was trying to process everything that he had said. Now I felt bad for not believing Jack but I couldn't see how Jack noticed that Shawn liked me and I failed to do so. I have to admit that I had a slight crush on Shawn early on in our friendship but as soon I started dating Jack that faded. The worst part is that I knew our friendship would be affected by what he had just confessed.

"Say something, please," he pleaded after a long while of silence.

"Thanks for telling me the truth but I just need some space and time to myself," was all I could say to him.

He nodded understandingly and got up but before he left I called out for him, "And the way you look doesn't affect the way I look at you as a person," I told him truthfully, referring to what he said when we went camping.

He gave me a sad smile and walked away with his gaze on the sand and his hands hidden in his pockets.

-

I walked back to the beach house once it got dark and changed my clothes to pyjamas. In order to do that I had to go into the room that Jack and I were sharing. He met my gaze when I entered the room but he shifted it quickly, he sat on the bed tapping away on his phone. I quickly changed and grabbed my phone, a pillow and my water bottle.

"Where are you going?" Jack asked as I was about to leave.

"Outside to the daybed," I avoided eye contact with him.

"Why? Just sleep here, I'll leave if you want-"

"No, it's okay. I need some anyway," I stopped him.

With that, I left the room. I walked passed Shawn who was on the couch watching Tv, I figured that everyone else was already in bed. I could feel his eyes on me but I ignored it. I slid the door to the backyard open and put my things on the large circular daybed and laid there.

The sky was filled with small clouds but dominated by small flickering stars, the wind was gentle. I had emptied my mind to enable me to relax. Soon enough I fell asleep.

-

I was woken up to the sound of crashing waves, the sun lit up the sky and I found a blanket covering me which was not there last night which I figured Jack must've got for me. I managed to get some sleep and get my mind off things. I heard the door slide open and Jack step out of the house in his shorts and no shirt. He gave me a small smile as he approached.

"Sleep well?" He asked as he got in the bed next to me.

I nodded since no words managed to come out.

"Good you took a blanket with you, it must've been cold last night," he spoke as he put some loose hair behind my ear.

I wanted to tell him that I didn't take the blanket with me last night but I decided to leave it since it wasn't important information.

"Are you still upset at me? I'm really sorry about what happened and I shouldn't have lashed out on you like that."

"I am just a little but I'm sorry for not believing you about Shawn liking me," I finally spoke.

His face scrunched up, "How come you believe me now?" he asked.

"Shawn told me about it yesterday..." I hesitated a bit.

He looked stunned by my response and I could tell that he was processing what I said, "did he really tell you that?" he was still shocked.

"And he also said that he still likes me," I muttered and he didn't seem fazed by what I said.

We stayed quiet for a while before I broke the silence, "I think we should just forget that all of this happened," I suggested and he agreed before planting a quick kiss on my lips.

-

We were all having breakfast in the kitchen except for Shawn who was nowhere to be found. We all finished eating and sat around making conversations here and there. I spoke to Claire quite a bit but Sabrina was really quiet, she was sort of glaring at me all morning which I found weird. Shortly after, Shawn entered the house, it looked like he had gone for a run. He greeted us before taking his things to the bathroom.

He came back out and sat with us while having breakfast, I avoided his gaze and Jack did the same. Jack squeezed my hand under the table to calm himself down, I knew he was mad but I told him to act like nothing had happened .

Everyone left to change their clothes and Shawn was taking a phone call. However, Sabrina was still in the room as I just scrolled through Instagram, from the corner of my eye I could see her walking towards me and she then sat next to me so I looked up from my phone.

"Hi..." I said but I came out more like a question.

"What is your deal with him?" She asked me sternly.

"What do you mean by that?"

"You know what I'm talking about. Shawn. For all I know you could be cheating on Jack with Shawn, I don't believe the whole 'we're just friends' thing so I'll get to the bottom of it eventually. I'm just warning you, stay away from Shawn because I'll get him back. Watch your back," Sabrina threatened me.

Before I could get a word out she walked away and left me stunned in the kitchen. My phone vibrated in my hands.

Unknown number:
You just have to make the right choices and everything will go smoothly, get ready.

{Vote, comment and share}

I'm so excited to release my next book, the concept isn't cliché for once (my concepts are always cringy).

But what do you think of the story so far??