🐱 Review #6 🐱

Title: Soulmate Cookies

Author: findmysteryinme

Genre: General Fiction

Subgenre: Fantasy

Status: Ongoing

Brief Description: A girl with bad luck gets a job in a cafe that gives good luck to people who eat their special treats. There's a mysterious journal that might be playing a part in this, and, I'm guessing, a love pentagon. (I shortened it because my reviews are long enough as it is, and I don't want to swamp it with  more word counts with a long description.)

WARNING: THIS MAY BE MY LONGEST REVIEW YET! >

WARNING: THIS MAY BE MY LONGEST REVIEW YET! >.<
OH, AND BRACE YOURSELF. I WAS QUITE HARSH WITH THIS REVIEW.

_______

🐾 NON-SPOILER OVERVIEW 🐾
_______

Erm...

⬆️ (Hmm

⬆️ (Hmm...)

Okay. I am not entirely sure how I feel after reading this book. I really don't wanna be mean, but I'm not gonna sugarcoat anything. I can't tell if the book was hilarious or painful to read. To be honest, it was a mess, and it was really painful to get through (I'll explain why, so don't worry). The parts I burst out laughing at were scenes that either weren't intended to be funny or for reasons that probably weren't intended (more info below).

Firstly, the grammar is poor. Seriously, even people who don't know much about grammar would struggle to get through your book, and you really need to clean up some things for a cleaner prose.

Secondly, events that happen are just all over the place. Half the time, I didn't even know which character was doing what, and where our MC was. It's just so jumbled that I don't even understand the mechanisms of your world, and it's really bugging me that there doesn't seem to be any worldbuilding. Even if a book is set in the real world, the readers need to feel like they're right in the place of the MC's shoes to make the story feel more authentic and real enough to pull us in. I just don't get that with this book. Not to mention the magic system...what even are the rules for the magic? How is Ivy able to cast spells on food before she even got the diary, and she doesn't even realise it's her prayers giving good luck? What are the limitations? I just hope a spell from the diary doesn't become a deux ex machina.