Chapter Fourteen: Lord Of Light

"What are you doing?" asked Gendry. Aris lifted her head to peer around Gendry's body. That was when one of the Brotherhood men took a rope tied to the horses reins.

"With all due respect." Thoros said. "But for both our safety and your's, I need you to wear these." he gestured to another one of his men who held out sacks.

"I'm not wearing that." Aris said sceptical eyeing the sacks.

"You are and you will. It's only for a short period of time, I promise."

Gendry reluctantly took the two sacks as one was handed to Arya as well. "Just do what they say." said Gendry and handed Aris a sack.

"Prisoner's wear these." she flailed her arms. "Are you taking us somewhere to kill us?"

"No, My Lady." reassured Thoros. "I give you my word. You're very sceptical for a highborn."

"I have my reasons." she muttered eyeing Thoros.

Arya was first to throw the sack over her head and Gendry followed. Aris huffed and did the same. Her vision was blocked and she lost all track of their surroundings. She didn't like it one bit.

As they rode Aris held a loose grip around Gendry's torso and for the duration of the ride he was tense. He'd never talked to a women let alone be with one and yet here one was holding onto him as they rode the horse together. He liked the feeling of her arms hugging him and the feeling of her pressed against his back and her head resting on his shoulders.

"How much longer do I have to keep this hood on?" she heard Arya ask from ahead.

"I do apologise little lady, but it's better for you if you don't see where we're going." Thoros replied.

"Halt!" a voice shouted and the horses came to a stop. Aris huffed wondering why they were stopping. Thoros turned in the saddle and lifted Arya's hood and held the bottle for her to drink.

"What is it?" she asked.

"Black strap rum." Thoros brought the bottle to her nose and the strong smell burnt her nose. She reeled in response to the foul smell.

"Not easy finding m'lac some water."

"I'd have some." Gendry said from under the hood.

"Would the lady Stark like some too?!"

"No."

The men chuckled lightly. "Right then, down you go." Aris felt a hand pat her leg. She swung her leg around the horse and slid off the saddle. Once Gendry felt Aris leave the horse he helped himself to the ground.

Aris was thankful, her legs were starting to go numb. The man who helped her down held a hand around her arm to guide her, "Right this way, m'lady."

The men led the three into a cave, lighting their torches and making their way through the cave. Aris' hood was finally pulled off and bright fire blinded her eyes in the darkness of the cave.

"What is this place?" asked Gendry looking around the cave.

"A place neither wolves or lions can prowl." replied Thoros.

The hood on The Hounds head was removed and he stepped back from the raging fire pit. "You all look like a bunch of swine herds." he chuckled.

"Some of us where swine herds." said Anguy. "And some taners, and masons. That was before..."

"You're still a swine herd." said The Hound. "And taners and masons. You think carrying a crooked spear makes you a soldier?"

"No." a mysterious voice said from the dark. The men parted to reveal a man in the dark. Wearing an eyepatch with little hair on his head and scruff of beard. "Fighting in a war makes you a soldier."

"Beric Dondarrion." greeted The Hound. "You've seen better days."

"And I won't see them again."

"Stark deserters. Baratheon deserters." The Hound spat. "You lot aren't fighting a war, you're running from it!"

"Last I heard you were King Joffrey's guard dog. And here you are a thousand miles from home." said Beric. "Which of us is running?"

"Untie these ropes and we'll find out." There Hound threatened. "What are you doing? Leading a mob of peasants?"

"Ned Stark ordered me to execute your brother, in King Roberts name."

"Ned Stark is dead! King Robert is dead. My brother is alive." The Hound spat onto the ground. "You're fighting for ghosts."

"That's all we are. Ghosts. Waiting for you in the dark. You can't see us, but we see you. No matter who's cloak you wear. Lannister, Stark , Baratheon... you prey on the weak. The Brotherhood without Banners will hunt you down."

"You found god, is that it?"

"Ey, I've been reborn in the light of the one true god. As have we all, as any man who's seen the things we've seen."

"If you mean to murder me, then bloody get on with it." The Hound was growing agitated and annoyed at all this rambling.

"You'll die soon enough, dog." Thoros exclaimed. "But it won't be murder. Only justice."

"A kinder fate than you deserve." said another, "Lions, you call yourselves, at the Mummer's ford, girls of seven years were raped. And babes still on their mothers breast were cut in two while their mothers watched!"

"I wasn't at the Mummer's Ford!" the Hound growled. "Dump your dead children at some other door."

"House Clegane was built upon dead children!" Another shouted.

"I saw them lay Aegon and Princess Rhaenys before the Iron Throne." Thoros announced.

"You take me for my brother?" The Hound turned and shouted. "Is being born a Clegane a crime?"

"Murder is a crime!"

"I never touched the Targaryen babes! I never saw them! Never smelled them, Never held them! Bawling, you want to cut my throat get on with it! But don't call me murderer and pretend that you're not."

"You murdered Mycah!" Arya shouted as Beric walked towards her in interest. "The Butcher's boy. My friend. He was twelve years old. He was unarmed and you rode him down and you slung him over your horse like a deer."

"Ey, he was a bleeder."

"You don't deny killing this boy?" Beric asked.

"I was Joffrey's sworn shield. The boy attacked the prince..."

"That's a lie!" Arya shouted angrily. "I hit Joffrey, Mycah just ran away."

"Then I should have killed you. Not my place to question princes."

"You stand accused of murder." Beric said. "But no one here knows the truth of the charge. So it is not for us to judge you. Only the Lord of Light can do that now. I sentence you to trial by combat."

"So who will it be?" The Hound announced. "Then we'll find out if your fire god really loves you priest. And you archer, or are you worth with a sword in your hand? Or is the little girl the bravest one here?!"

"Ey." said Beric. "She might be, but it's me you'll fight."