Chapter Eighty Four: The Long Night

Beneath Winterfell in the Crypts, the women and children and anyone who couldn't fight where still quiet while the battle ragged above them. They had no idea what was happening or when they'd met their deaths.

Randyl sat by Duchess and her four puppies which slept peacefully behind Robb Stark's tomb, safe from the people in the crypt and the ones above.

Varys sighed. "At least we're already in a crypt."

"If we were up there, we might see something everyone else is missing." stated Tyrion. "Something that makes a difference."

Varys scoffed.

"What?" Tyrion turned to face the spider. "Remember the Battle of the Blackwater? I brought us through the Mud Gate."

"And got your face cut in half."

"And it made a difference." argued Tyrion. "If I was out there..."

"You'd die." Sansa firmly said. "There's nothing you can do."

Tyrion tossed aside the empty flask and picked up another. "You'd be surprised by the lengths I'd go to to avoid joining the army of the dead." he sat by Sansa. "I could think of no organisation less suited to my talents."

"Witty remarks won't make a difference. It's why we're down here, none of us can do anything." and Tyrion casted her a look. "It's the truth. It's the most heroic thing we can do now... look the truth in the face."

"Maybe we should have stayed married."

Sansa smiled. "It wouldn't work between us."

"Why not?"

"The Dragon Queen. Your divided loyalties would become a problem."

From across the crypt, Missandei spoke. "Yes. Without the Dragon Queen, there's be no problem at all. We'd all be dead already." and she stood and stormed across the crypts where Aris stood rocking her sleeping baby by the candle light of her father's tomb.

The dead stood by the burning trenches and one by one they began to pile their rotting bodies over the spikes to form a path for the others to cross and they began to flood Winterfell by climbing the walls, but there where too many to fend off and they poured over slaughtering anyone in their way.

Jaime and Brienne fought together on the walls. Sam and Jorah fought together amongst some Unsullied. Gendry fought with all his strength.

The Hound was in hiding. There was death everywhere he looked. The screams of men dying the the wights that tore them apart.

Arya put her skills to use, easily slicing her way threw the wights with her knew weapon. She pushed her way through them, mercilessly cutting them as she went.

An undead giant broke threw the gates of Winterfell and swept Lady Mormont aside and she screamed.

Arya became overwhelmed with wights and she pushed her way out and slipped, smashing her forehead against the stone wall and her vision blurred. She shuffled away from the wights that came at her.

The undead giant used his club to swipe away the men that attacked him, killing them with one blow.

"Clegane, we need you!" shouted Beric with a flaming sword. "You can't give up on us!"

"Fuck off!" shouted Clegane. "We can't beat them. Don't you see that you stupid whore? We're fighting death! They can't beat death."

"Tell that to her." Beric gestured to Arya who jumped off the rafters onto the roof as wights threw themselves over. Arya pushed herself to her feet and slipped into the castle threw a window. Clegane growled and went after Arya.