Chapter Fifty Five: The Battle Of The Bastards

When the morning came, the day was dark and gloomy. The sun had barely managed to peak a few weak rays through the clouds hanging overhead.

The Stark army held formation just before the tree line of the Deepwood Motte, Wildlings, Hornwood's, Mazins, and Mormont's, who all stood together. Their numbers barely managed to reach two thousand men, but amongst them stood a giant as tall as a tree and he who made up the strength of twenty men. Even then all were silent.

Jon Snow came forward through his army on horseback and when he came to the front, the sight before him shocked him. Out on the fields sat X's a light with fire, and with men strung upside down and skinned.

The Bolton army sat on the other side of the field with Winterfell in the near distance. Six thousand men who all stood with Bolton banners, Karstarks banners and Umber banners. The front lines held shields painted with the Bolton Sigil and all of them armoured and equiped with weapons.

Ramsay Bolton came forward through his army on horseback, only he had a loop of rope in his hand dragging behind a person. His horse broke though the front line and stood beside Wyllim's horse who waited patiently for his lord and took the reins of his horse.

Ramsay dismounted his horse and looked back at Rickon Stark who hands were bounds to the rope Ramsay carried. And beside Rickon, followed Aris. Ramsay shrugged the loop of rope over his shoulder and walked forward pulling Rickon Stark behind him.

Wyllim also dismounted his horse and handed another man the reins to the horses and marched after his Lord. Aris' breath hitched in her throat and her eyes watered as Ramsay kept walking her brother forward until he stopped.

Back across the field, Jon's face fell in fear.

Ramsay pulled the ropes to Rickon forward and drew his dagger, holding it into the air. "No..." murmured Aris and as she went to run to her brother's aid, Wyllim held out his arm to stop her.

Jon dismounted his horse and rushed forward unsure of what he was able to do from so far away. Rickon bowed his head and scrunched his eyes closed trying to stay brave and readying himself for the killing blow.

Instead of plunging the knife into the boy's heart, Ramsay brought the dagger to Rickon's ropes and sliced them, freeing his wrists. Confusion struck all three Stark siblings.

"Do you like games, little man?" asked Ramsay. "Let's play a game." and he grasped his shoulders and pointed across the field. "Run to your brother. The sooner you make it to him, the sooner you get to see him again. That's it. That's the game. Easy. Ready? Go." and Ramsay pushed Rickon forward.

Wyllim left Aris' side for a moment and she looked between Ramsay and Wyllim unsure of what Ramsay was playing at. Wyllim took a quiver of arrows and a bow and headed toward Ramsay.

Rickon who stumbled forward looked over his shoulder confused.

"No, you have to run, remember?" reminded Ramsay. "Those are the rules." and Wyllim held out the bow for Ramsay.

"Run, Rickon!" shouted Aris when she realised what was happening. "Run!"

Rickon's eyes widened in fear and he began to sprint. Aris picked up her dress and ran for Ramsay as he slid an arrow from the quiver. A soldier lunged forward and grasped Aris in his arms as she kicked and screamed.

Jon's eyes also widened and he ran back for his horse and threw himself over the saddle and kicked the horse into a sprint.

Ramsay casually nocked the arrow and drew back the string and released. The arrow whizzed over Rickon's head and landed a few feet away.