Chapter Fifteen: Ressurection

"Lord." said Thoros. "Cast your light upon us."

In union, all the men of the Brotherhood shouted, "Lord of Light is endless!" The ropes tied around The Hound were cut and he was free'd.

"Show us the truth." Thoros held out his arms in a praising manner before the raging fire. "Strike this man down if he is guilty; give strength to his sword is he is true. Lord of Light. Give us wisdom. For the night is dark and full of terrors."

"For the night is dark and full of terrors!"

Aris had her eyebrows raised the entire time. These men really worshipped a fire god? It was more weird than it was creepy. She even casted Gendry a look to which he pushed his mouth into a thin line in response.

The Hound was handed back his sword and Thoros stood before Beric with a sword with his hand outstretched. Thoros ran the tip of the blade threw Beric's palm and drew blood. The sword was placed in his other hand and Beric pressed the blade to his bleeding palm and ran his hand up the blade.

The sword alit with fire and The Hound stumbled hiding his fear behind a mean face. It was Aris' turn to question what trick they used.

Both contestants were given shields and The Hound was the first to strike. They struck blades and skilfully swung their swords. Beric's blade danced gracefully while on fire.

They came around the fire pit as Beric pushed The Hound back with one strike after the other. Aris tapped Arya's shoulder for her to stand as they came closer.

Aris stumbled back as Beric's sword swung too close for liking, so close she felt the heat radiating from the fire of his sword. She stumbled back into Gendry as they moved out of their way.

Beric's sword strikes the bolder which they were standing only moment ago. They moved around the bolder as their swords swung past and striked. Sparks flew with each attempt.

They continued to round the fire pit, the singing of metal echoed through the cave. The Hound's sword swung wildly and hit wooden structures and broke the wood. The Hound swung his blade back around with anger and ferocity and struck Beric's shield, breaking a part off.

Beric ducked under The Hound's attack and kicked a foot into his back and pushed him over a small fire. The fire exploded under his feet and embers flew crazy.

The Hound shouted with anger and stepped out of the fire and kicked buckets towards Beric. The Hound's blade struck Beric and they locked, giving The Hound a chance to return to the kick to the stomach. Beric folded over with pain as The Hound swung his sword and managed to block it in time.

Beric managed to get the upper hand and struck The Hound to the ground. Their blades struck again and The Hound bounced to his feet. The Hound brought down his blade several times, striking Beric's shield and breaking it with each hit until he was left with nothing.

It was Beric's turn to drive back The Hound. He skilfully swung his sword down on The Hound's blade until he was pushed to the ground once again. The Hound held up his shield as Beric's sword struck the shield and it caught fire. The Hound angrily rose to his feet and returned the attacks with his own, meanwhile trying to break free of his shield.

The men began to chant "Guilty!" over and over.

"Kill him!" Arya screamed.

The Hound gave up trying to rid of his shield and kept attacking Beric. Their blades chimed along with the chanting. Beric's blade drove past The Hound and his movements became slower. The Hound struck Beric with the hilt of his sword and he came to his knee's.

Beric with a last attempt held up his blade as a shield as The Hound brought down his blade, sliced threw Beric and into his shoulder.

The chanting stopped.

Aris' heart pounded in her chest, both with excitement and fear. Aris never noticed Gendry's arm who he held around her protectively. She eyed him and he realised the same, he reeled his arms and pushed a smile.

The Hound released his sword and Beric fell to the ground. Thoros threw himself forward over Beric's dead body. "Lord, cast your light upon this faithful servant. Bring him back from death and darkness. His flames been extinguished, restore it!"

The Hound wailed on the ground as he slammed the shield against the ground trying to break it off before it burnt into his arm.

Without warning, Arya turned and grabbed Aris' dagger from her belt. "Arya don't!" she yelled as Arya leaped over the bolder and headed The Hound. Gendry rounded the rock and fir pit and caught Arya in his arms before she did something she may regret.

Arya screamed and kicked and tried to wiggle out of Gendry's arms. "Let go of me!" Arya screamed. "Let me go!"

"Looks like the god likes me more than you're butchers boy." The Hound snivelled.

"Burn in hell!" Arya screamed still struggling against Gendry, but he was much stronger than her so she didn't stand a chance.

"He will." said a voice and the smile on The Hound's face dropped. Arya stopped screaming and struggling at the sight of Beric who was standing once more. Alive. "But not today."

Aris' eyes were wide and her mouth fell open. He was dead. How is he alive? Was this another trick.

Gendry picked Arya up and dragged her back over to Aris who took her dagger away from Arya. "Don't do that again." she warned pointing the knife at Arya before sliding it back into her belt. Arya stood their fuming at the fact The Hound was still alive.

"How is he alive?" Gendry whispered.

"A trick?" suggested Aris.

"It's no trick." announce Thoros who had heard. "You've witnessed the Lord of Light's work first hand. You cannot deny it."

"You can't bring a dead man back..."

"But I did."

Aris raised her eyebrows. She was not going to believe this... not for a second. But she did witness The Hound drive his sword into his body, how can that be a trick? 

Thoros then handed The Hound a paper. The Hound snatched it from him and unfolded it to read the contents. "I want my gold!" The Hound demanded.

"It says it clearly on that note you'll be re-payed in full when the wars over."

"Piss on that!" The Hound threw the paper into the fire. "You're nothing but thieves."

"We're outlaws!" Anguy informed. "Outlaws steal. You're lucky we didn't kill you."

The Hound stepped towards Anguy but was held back. "Come try it archer, I'll shove those arrows up your arse!"

"You can't let him go!" Arya shouted. "He's a murderer! He's guilty!"

"Not in the eyes of god." said Beric.

"You can't!"

"Enough!" bellowed Beric and silenced Arya. "The judgement isn't ours to make." Anguy threw The Hound's swords and belts back to him over the fire. "Go in peace Sandor Clegane. The Lord of Light isn't done with you yet."

A sack was thrown back over The Hound's head and he was escorted back out of the cave. "Arya." said Aris, but the girl crossed her legs and placed her head in her palms and stared into the fire.

"Arya, I know you're angry..."

"Of course I'm angry." Arya spat. "The Hound doesn't deserve to live."

"No he doesn't. He'll get what's coming to him. We're riding in the morning."