Chapter Sixteen: Family Duty Honour

That night, Aris could barely sleep. Due to her mind racing with hundreds of thoughts about this Lord of Light. How Beric came back. She wanted to believe it was a trick, but there was no way she could think up a trick. 

The other reason being due to the sounds of someone fiddling around and it was beginning to annoy her.

She sat up to check Arya who was sleeping beside her. She rubbed her eyes and pulled on her boots. She stepped over the men who snored loudly as she wondered through the cave. She rounded the corner of the cave following the sounds as they got louder. She found Gendry sitting under torch light fiddling with armour.

"What are you doing?" she made herself present.

Gendry looked up and stopped, "Just mending Lord Beric's armour."

"...Why?"

Gendry took in a breath and avoided looking her in the eye as he said, "I'm going to stay on Smith for the Brotherhood."

She pondered for a moment. "Have you lost your mind?" She grew to like Gendry, and the thought of him leaving or dying, made her feel unpleasant. "When the Lannister's find this place do you think they'll spare the Smith? They'll cave your head in with your own hammer!"

"Lannister's wanted to kill me long before I joined the Brotherhood."

"They wanted me dead too! The second they cut off my fathers head. You don't have to do this."

"I want to. They need good men."

"Robb needs good men too." Aris stated. "We're leaving tomorrow and you'll...."

"... What, serve him? I've served men my entire life. I served master Mot in Kings Landing and he sold me to the Watch. I served Lord Tywin at Harrenhal, wondering everyday, if I'll get tortured or killed. I'm done serving."

"You just said you were serving Lord Beric." Aris stated crossing her arms. She didn't know why she was getting so upset over this. "We have a duty to make sure Arya gets home..."

"No, you have a duty." Gendry corrected. "Beric may be they're leader. But they chose him, these men are brothers. They're a family...."

Aris scoffed and turned on her heel to march away, but Gendry then said, "I've never had a family."

She stopped on her heel and spun back around marching back towards him and without thinking she said. "What about me, Gendry? I could be your family."

Gendry smiled, "You wouldn't be my family... You'd me m'lady."

Aris stood a few feet from him, the fire light danced across her face

Aris stood a few feet from him, the fire light danced across her face. She didn't know what to say back to him as he stared up with his big eyes. Her eyes fluttered from his mouth to his eyes, unsure of what he really wanted.

She stepped closer trying to get a reaction from him. He tensed as she stepped closer and he let out a breath, his mouth fell agape. Aris ran her fingers across the hair on his forehead brushing it aside. He needed a wash. Gendry swallowed hard at her touch and became nervous under her stare as she studied him, he just wanted her.

Aris leant down to her level and planted a light kiss on his lips. Fire exploded in the pit of his stomach, he dropped his tools which tumbled to the ground with a loud echo and his hands cupped her face and brought her back in. He kissed her firmly again and she returned the favour.

Her hands ended up finding their way into his unwashed hair and she nearly fell into his chest. She was first to break away and rested her forehead against his.

"Come with me." she pleaded.

Gendry opened his eyes to met hers. "I..." he licked his lips asking for another. Aris sighed heavily and pushed off him and stormed away leaving him in a trance like state. He never noticed himself how much he craved her touch and another kiss. His mind was at a battle now, she hated him but she kissed him. His first kiss from a women and a beautiful one. Women were so confusing. The daughter of a Lord who would have his manhood for supper. Starks do live up to their name. He could go with her, then what?

He was born the lowest of low and she was a highborn. He wasn't worthy of her regardless, she deserved someone like a prince, or a lord.