Chapter Eighty Seven: No Cause for Celebration

There was no celebration that night. Only mourning. The hall was filled with people who ate in silence. Jon sat in the middle of the long table, with his sisters to his right and Daenerys to his left. But she wasn't eating. He wanted to say something but decided against it.

Gendry kept glancing to Aris at the head of the table who was enjoying her meal. He wanted to be sitting beside her. But there was one person who was missing.

"Have you seen Arya?" he asked the Hound who sat across him.

Clegane stopped eating and glared up at Gendry. "You can still smell the burning bodies, and that's where your head is at."

"I just wanted to thank her."

"I'm sure you do."

"It's not like that between us."

"I know, you've boggling Aris the whole night."

"Then why would you...?" Gendry trailed off becoming frustrated with Clegane. "Never mind." and he rose from his seat. He shuffled his way through the small aisle between tables towards the front.

Aris watched him intently.

"Gendry." called Daenerys and he froze. The small chatter in the room stopped. Aris looked nervously from Gendry to Daenaerys.

"That's right, isn't it?"

Gendry came to stand before her. "Yes, your grace."

"You're Robert Baratheon's son." she questioned. Gendry nodded silently, knowing where this might be going and he glanced to Aris. "You are aware he took my family's throne and tried to have me murdered?"

"I didn't even know he was my father until after he was dead."

"Yes, he's dead. His brothers are too. So who's Lord of Storms End, now?"

"I don't know, your grace."

"Does anyone?" Daenerys said louder for the room to hear. But no one said anything. "I think you should be Lord of Storms End."

Gendry's eyes widened and his mouth fell open. His eyes looked everywhere but Daenerys. He shook his head baffled. "I can't be. I'm a bastard." he replied quickly glancing to Aris again who seemed curious.

"No. You are Lord Gendry Baratheon of Storms End," she announced. "The lawful son of Robert Baratheon. Because that is what I have made you."

Silence and shock. Gendry blinked repeatedly unsure if what he heard was right. A smile formed on Aris' lips and she rose from her seat with a cup extended and said. "To Lord Gendry Baratheon of Storms End!"

The rest of the room followed suit, some standing with cups and cheered. "Lord Gendry!"

Gendry smiled wildly to Aris and accepted the cup Jon held out for him. He turned to the men and women in the room and raised his cup in thanks. The Hound merely shook his head.

Aris and Jon sat back in their seats. She watched Gendry being congratulated by others in the room, happy for him. This was when the celebration truly began. The men and women began to laugh and talk louder. As it should be.

That was when she heard the hushed words being shared between Tyrion and Daenerys.

"A fitting reward for a hero." said Tyrion. "And a Lord of Storms End who will be forever loyal to you."

"See." replied Daenerys. "You're not the only one who's clever."

The smile faded from Aris' lips hearing their conversation and she realised Sansa may have been right. She just lost some respect for Daenerys. Even if she made Gendry a lord, it was for her own needs.