MELANIN QUEEN*

C H A P T E R
S E V E N

"A thug is someone who stands on his own. He lives by the decisions he makes and accepts the consequences. A thug is comfortable in his own skin. I wear mine like a glove." — Trick Daddy

⚡️ D A V E

I sat in my car in front of my homie Diego's crib. It's been exactly two months since he's been gone and I still couldn't wrap my head around it. We've been cool since, longer than we knew what this cruel ass world was about. Even though both of our pops tried constantly to explain to us; we was just Kids we didn't really give a fuck until it was time for us to start giving a fuck.

His momma', Evette, was a strong individual the funny thing about it was I've never seen her cry over this situation which was crazy to me. Not once did a tear fall down her cheek and it worried me.

I know everybody mourns differently but not to cry not once? That's when I made it my duty to check up on her every chance I got cause she got so much emotion bottled up inside she can break down any minute and I just want to be there when she does. She was like a mom to me, being that I ain't have one, I considered her family.

As I gathered myself together to go holla' at momma Evette my phone started going crazy, it was Sadie.

I sucked my teeth, I really ain't have time for her shit right now. I told her right after I ended it with Armani that I ain't want shit to do with her neither. But for some reason she still couldn't get it through that thick ass skull of hers.

"What you want man?" I sighed through the phone.

"We need to talk, it's important Dave." She said in all seriousness.

"Talk about what Sadie? Ain't shit to discuss." I assured her. My ass wasn't about to fall in that trap.

Every time she said she wanted to talk it would end up with her trying to fuck me, which right now was definitely not happening. I was content with Armanda and I really didn't want nothing to fuck us up especially not Sadie.

She sucked her teeth, "Damn Dave, can you just shut up and bring ya ass to my place? Trust me I don't wanna' fuck you."

"Aight man," I sighed, "Give me a minute I'm handling business right now."

With that I hung up the phone. Getting out the car making sure I locked it up before heading inside momma Evette's place.

The aroma of soul food lingered out through the screen door and onto the front porch of her home, she always knew how to throw down in the kitchen. My stomach instantly started to growl, as I can taste the smell of her famous butter biscuits in my mouth.

I knocked on the screen door, "Momma E," I said as I let myself in.

"I'm in here baby." She called out to me from the kitchen.

She was still whipping up some grub, as she fried some chicken on the side. Keeping herself busy.

"What's the occasion?" I ask in regards to all this food.

She sucked her teeth and giggled, "Boy please you know it's Sunday...even though Diego's gone that doesn't mean I'm going to stop what I do."