.9

I was finally able to make my dark chocolate cake.

My flat was filled with the aroma of it's decadence and my stomach growled in response to it. I wanted so badly to cut into it but I was saving it for him.

So I waited...

And waited...

Waited more...

I checked the time on my phone and noticed it was approaching midnight. Releasing a huff, I mindlessly flipped through the content of my Netflix not caring so much on what was on. An exhale dragged through my lips as I switched my position on the couch.

So many thoughts brewed in this time.

This will be the last night for us together while he's gone for an entire month. He has left for short periods of time during this but never for a month.

I understood the constant on the go being a part of his life but I'm starting to think do I really want it as a part of mine?

I can only imagine how hard it could be to develop and maintain a romantic relationship being in this industry. I can almost understand why he would keep his career a secret but I couldn't help but wish that I didn't know because my feelings are heavily involved now more than they were and hurt constantly orbited the happiness of it.

How could this work?

Checking my phone again for the time and hoping for some kind of notification that never arrived, I turned the TV off and got up from the sofa. I shut off all the lights in the living room. Just as I was about to pull the last switch, my doorbell rung.

I glanced at the door.

There were countless emotions running through me and I feared that tonight was going to be a night that will not be soon forgotten.

The pits of my stomach folded in as I approached the door and opened it.

He stood tall before me. His hair laid smoothly against his forehead. The look on his face however was a familiar one but he almost looked exactly how I was feeling...tired but for opposing reasons. I couldn't ignore a slight aggravation in his features as well.

Wonder if he could see mine?

Without a word, I turned on my heel, hoping he'd take the hint to allow himself in. I didn't look back as I heard the door close behind me.

I attempted to get far away from him as quick as I could but his long strides rapidly caught up to me. He grabbed my arm and my pace halted in the middle of the foyer.

Turning slowly toward him I kept my gaze on the floor. One glance was all it would take for the tears that were starting to build to fall.

"I know I am late." His voice was grave and deep. The tone of it seemed to contrast more than just being apologetic.

"I can tell you are upset." He continued. "I tried to get here as fast as I could."

How many times would I have to hear this? This is sure to be the first of many conversations we will have in similarity.

"There's cake on the counter if you want a slice. I'm going to bed." My gaze never left the floor as I tried to pull away but there was strength behind his slender hands that held me in his clutches.

"Shae, no. Look at me. Please." He pleaded.

I hesitated.

"We have to talk. Please."

I sighed. "About what? What is it that we need to talk about?" I finally lifted my gaze to him.

His eyebrows knitted. "What do you mean? You know what."