Part 7

"Okay. I'll keep an eye out for Asav." Nadine states whilst they drive down the hill.

"Perfect. Not that I'm too worried about him, though." Chloe replies.

"You should be. We won't have the advantage of surprise again." She counter. "Don't think he was expecting much from either of you."

"Wait, was that a compliment?" (Y/N) asks, faking surprise.

"It sounded like a compliment." Chloe agrees, and the two nod and laugh but Nadine scoffs at the pair. "His guys are idiots, but Asav is..." She pauses. "We just need to stay the hell away from him." She finishes.

(Y/N) drives them up the hill to where the tower sat in the middle and Chloe sighs. "Never understood the appeal of people like Asav."

"Easy. He finds men who are weak and offers them power. Gives them purpose." Nadine answers.

"Purpose." (Y/N) repeats. "Sounds like pure bullshit to me."

Stopping outside the tower, Chloe is the only one to get out. "You two wanna climb it with me?"

"I really want to, but uh... someone should keep watch for Asav's forces." Nadine says, shrugging.

"Good call."

"And I just cannot for the life of me, be bothered." (Y/N) says, giving Chloe a smile who rolls her eyes.

The two woman sit in silence, awkward and uncomfortable and watch Chloe climb up the tower.

"You all right up there?" (Y/N) yells up.

"So far, so good."

Another silence between the two and (Y/N) begins tapping her fingers against the steering wheel, drumming lightly.

Nadine leans forward, leaning her head on her arms atop of the seat. "You're married?" She quizzes, nodding to the glistening silver ring.

"Huh? Oh... yeah." (Y/N) replies, taking her hand off the steering wheel and covering it with the other.

"Who's the unlucky guy?"

(Y/N) rolls her eyes, shaking his head but she sees Chloe come towards them. "You won't know him. Well, was it worth the climb?" She changes the subject, hearing Nadine sigh.

"And then some. Found the three symbols."

"Really?"

"Yup. Each one was pointing towards a different fortress. Those will be the best places to look." Chloe says.

"Perfect." Nadine says, Chloe climbing back into the passenger side and she shows (Y/N) the map and points to the axe fortress.

(Y/N) nods and starts driving once again and Chloe looks back at their partner, curious. "How'd you get tangled up with Asav, anyway? Purpose?"

"Rather not go into it."

"He certainly seemed to have a thing for you." (Y/N) points out.

"Don't remind me. Proved useful at the time but... ja."

"Uh, do tell." Chloe smirks.

"Rather not."

"Maybe over drinks?"

"Not enough alcohol in the world."

(Y/N) carefully drives them up the rocks and small hills, bringing them closer to the fortress. "Right, you're the military expert. What's Asav's strategy?" She asks, glancing at Nadine.

"He's spread out his men, hoping to stop us in our tracks. Not what I would do." She comments.

"What would you do if you were Asav?"

"Besides lose the beard? Hang back, let you do the heavy lifting, then swoop in and grab the Tusk once you've done all the hard work."

"Devious." Chloe states.

"Practical. Mitigates a lot of risks."

"Lucky you're on our team."

"Yeah, you are." Nadine says and the other share a look. "I'm a little surprised Asav's not doing the same thing. Maybe his expert knows more than we think." She carries on.

"Right." (Y/N) states.

"All the more reason to wrap this up quickly, then." Chloe says.

The three fall in silence again and drive through a small cave, coming out the other end to one of Asav's trucks.

"Look."

"It's clear out here." Chloe points out and (Y/N) drives through the water, up the hill and stops in front of the fortress.

"Interesting circular motif. Like the disk." Chloe says, the three exiting the jeep.

"Shiva's axe." (Y/N) points to the sign above the entrance. "Matches the symbol in the tower."

"Shiva. He was God of destruction, right?" Nadine asks and (Y/N) grabs the winch, walking up the steps.

"Yes - but maybe not in the way you're thinking." Chloe answers.

"Not literal destruction, then?"

(Y/N) wraps the winch around the beam and heads back to the car.

"That, but also in a more positive sense. Like losing the ego, ditching bad habits."

"Shedding old attachments."

She gets into the car and reverses, pulling the door down and allowing them to go in. "So what do you think this place was?" She asks, taking the lead.

"A fortress? Not the right layout for a temple."

The three head up the stairs and Nadine looks around, shrugging. "Well, in we go."