Part 10

"Makes more sense why Asav's after the Tusk now." Nadine admits. "Figured he just wanted the money. Like us."

"He'll use it to rally people to his cause. Wave it in the government's face." Chloe answers. "Just like all the other times."

"This has happened before?"

"Oh yeah. Ever since the young king lost to the Persians. Everyone's wanted to lay claim to it, to this land."

"And here I thought we were just going on a treasure hunt." (Y/N) states, a cheeky grin on her face.

"We let men like Asav fight over it. It's none of our concern." Chloe says.

"Fighting wars was my concern for a time." Nadine reminds them.

"Good point. But you did it for the cash." (Y/N) shrugs, glancing back at her.

"Usually."

"What about when you worked for Asav?"

"Definitely a cash grab." Nadine scoffs. "Hardly worth the trouble."

"Ouch. Why do it then?" Chloe asks.

"Needed to establish my rep, eh. Figured I'd start with the worst of the bunch." She replies and Chloe nods. "Nowhere to go but up after that."

(Y/N) sighs in content, the three of them nearing the waterfalls, creating a picturesque scene. "Beautiful..."

She drives them up the hills and through the water, parking up next to the rebels truck and in front of the trident fort. "Shit, they've beaten us here." Nadine points out.

"They've beaten us to the last two, are you really surprised?" (Y/N) retorts, noticing there was no barricade needing to be pulled down.

"Hey look, Ganesh's trident." Chloe changes the subject once Nadine goes to say something else. "Glad I climbed that tower?" She adds.

"Ganesh. Remover of obstacles." Nadine mutters under her breath, but stops once the three drop down into grass and notice the rebels.

"Think that's the lot of them." Chloe says, peering out from behind a pillar.

"I'm thinking about all the ways that could've gone better." Nadine comes out from her hiding spot.

"You should be thinking about how it could've gone worse. Much more positive outlook... sort of." (Y/N) joins in.

"Well, let's just go find our giant water faucet." Nadine suggests.

The three walk up to an engraving that's blocking their way and Chloe pushes and pulls, running her hands on the stone. Nadine and (Y/N) stand back before the mercenary moves forward, pressing the circle-like button in the middle.

Chloe stares at her and she shrugs. "What? Looked like a button." She states.

(Y/N) laughs at Chloe's reply: "yeah, I just wanted you to have a go at something."

She steps down again to the plate in the floor, crouching down to turn it. "What did it do?" (Y/N) calls back.

"One of the spokes on the wheel just turned around." Nadine answers.

"The locks are retracting when you turn the wheels." Chloe adds.

"So, then let's find the other four." The other woman suggests, standing up and searching around.

"That should do it!" Chloe shouts after turning the last one.

"Okay, back to the big wheel thing." Nadine says.

"Big wheel thing?" (Y/N) questions.

"Whatever the... archaeological term for it is."

"Big wheel thing works."

Chloe spins the wheel and slowly, the stone door begins to rise. Nadine looks on with am impressed face. "You did it." Just as she says this, it stops moving altogether and (Y/N) sighs. "Way to jinx it. Looks like we're going under."

"Righty-oh."

They carefully crawl their way under and once done, it slams shut again behind them.

Chloe quickly completes the trident puzzle, which reveals Ganesh and (Y/N) joins her in turning the last one. "Let's get this over with." Nadine rushes them.

The two push, but Chloe's breaks, making her fall to the floor and (Y/N) burst out laughing.

"See? I told you it was dangerous." Nadine says, also laughing.

"You hurt?" (Y/N) asks, calming down.

"Just my dignity." Is her answer, walking over to join (Y/N) at hers and together they push forward.

The ground rumbles and the water spills out. The three walk to the edge to look down and Chloe pulls out her binoculars. "And now that's three." She smiles.

"You know, you're pretty good at this whole treasure hunting thing." (Y/N) says, turning to Nadine.

"I'm a quick study."

"One question though." Chloe carries on, throwing and catching her Ganesh figure repeatedly. "I reckon you could pretty much do anything you want. Why are you so keen to get Shoreline back?"

(Y/N) studies Nadine as she stands beside Chloe, knowing full well this was a sore topic. "Seriously?" She asks and Chloe hums in response.

"My partner turns my own men against me. My lieutenant makes off with the bounty. Nathan and Samuel Drake get off scot free, and you're asking why I want Shoreline back?" She lists.

"Yeah."

There's an uncomfortable silence and then Nadine's stance softens, becoming more vulnerable. "It was on my watch. I lost it on my watch."

Chloe goes back to throwing her figure up and down, which seemingly annoys Nadine. "All right, what the hell is that thing you keep playing with?"

"It's my stress toy." She says. "It showed up in the mail a few weeks after we got to Australia. All right, we better get a move on." She then changes the subject, putting the figure away.

"You're right. We don't want Asav to get ahead of us." (Y/N) tells them.

They all turn away from the water, but (Y/N) sighs, stopping Nadine. "I've had my share of screw ups, but you just gotta pick yourself up. Move on."

"I don't like to fail." Nadine says and she smiles, sympathetically as Chloe joins them. "No one does, love."

They get to the door and lift it up, Chloe ducking under first and holding it from the other side before the other two do the same.

"Last one back to the car buys dinner." Chloe says, already running out.

"I bought MREs." Nadine replies, making (Y/N) chuckle.

"You're no fun."

After being ambushed by more rebels, Nadine stretches, picking up a gun. "All clear."

"For real this time." Chloe adds.

"You two handled yourselves fine, all things considered." Nadine says.

"Excuse me now? What things are those?" (Y/N) scoffs.

"No real combat training. Slightly impulsive. Runs round the field like maniacs. Need to learn what 'short, controlled burst' means. And last, wearing those colours in a jungle combat scenario. I mean, seriously."

The other share a look and (Y/N) shakes her head. "Actually, I took kickboxing as a hobby when I was a kid, so. Plus, your blue isn't blending really either, maybe more than red or [colour], but come on." She adds.

Chloe smirks at her partner, high fiving her and then taking the lead back the way they came.