Part 12

Chloe points to the stone that caused the hole. "Wow. Nice shot."

"Persians must've had a trebuchet." Nadine says.

"Can't you just say catapult like a normal person?" (Y/N) asks.

"A trebuchet is a type of catapult. It can handle heavier projectiles, like this one, and fling them long distances." Nadine informs her.

"Right. You learn that in your military training?" Chloe joins in.

"I looked it up on Wikipedia. Like a normal person."

They slide down their ropes to witness a fight in statue form with Parashurama and Ganesh.

"When the Hindu Gods aren't off fighting demons, they're sometimes fighting each other." Chloe states, dropping down.

"Well, it's not a fair fight. Ganesh isn't even armed." Nadine replies.

"Guess it's not really his style."

(Y/N) drops down and makes her way over to a gap in the wall, ducking under it and turning on her torch. She takes them to their next part, crouching underneath and out the other side filled with water and bones.

"Hey, another one of those doors." She points out, heading up the steps. Turning it, (Y/N) lets out a sigh of relief. "This one actually works."

The room fills up with light and Chloe nods in approval. "Nice to get some light."

"Feels like a crypt in here." Nadine states, shivering.

"Crypts and burials aren't really a Hindu thing. They generally favour cremation." Chloe informs her. "It's a beautiful ceremony. 'Antyeshti.' Sanskrit for 'last sacrifice'."

"Sacrifice?"

"The idea is, our bodies are merely borrowed vehicles, and you're returning it so the others might benefit." (Y/N) cuts Chloe off.

"Somebody brushed up on their history." Chloe smirks, making her way to the ledges on the wall.

"It's a lovely sentiment." Nadine mumbles under her breath. "Too late for these poor bastards." She adds, looking down at the bodies and bones littering the floor.

(Y/N) climbs up and over, dropping down into a pile of bones and instantly grimacing, brushing herself down as she stands.

"This was it." Chloe says, dropping next to her. "Their final stand."

"Wasn't enough to save their temple." (Y/N) replies.

"But their loss is our gain." Nadine repeats earlier words.

They walk up the steps and Chloe goes to their path, a skeleton blocking the way they need to squeeze through. "Can you lend a hand with this chap?"

(Y/N) and Chloe gently pull it out, but it ends up sliding to the side and crashing to the floor. She squeezes her way through the gap and kicks out the soldier at the other end. (Y/N) and Nadine come out behind.

"We must be getting close."

"Hopefully closer than these guys."