Part 15

The trio head down the stairs in an unpleasant stillness, sweeping their flashlights across the floor. Nadine uses the crank at the bottom to close the door behind them. "Making sure we're not followed."

They carry on going down in a sort of spiral yet a rumble makes (Y/N) stop, looking around. "What was that?"

"Exactly what it sounded like." Nadine says back, through gritted teeth.

(Y/N) curses her out under her breath, jogging down the stairway to create at least some distance between them. Another rumble sounds and Chloe frowns: "What the hell are they doing?"

"Taking shortcuts."

They make their way over to a carving in the wall and Chloe breathes out in amazement. "Well, I'll be damned."

"The Kings ushered their people into the tunnels." (Y/N) studies.

"What?" Nadine questions.

"We didn't find the entrance... we've found the back door." Chloe realises. She carries on, walking in front and turning back to Nadine. "Looks like a stepwell." When she doesn't get a response, she looks at (Y/N), who shrugs. "She doesn't care."

"Sh. You two hear that?" Nadine asks.

A noise comes from further within and the other two nod. "Now we do."

(Y/N) makes her way through vegetation and ducks under the structures, narrowly missing the bats as she follows behind Chloe and in front of Nadine. The noise from before sounds louder and closer this time, making the three more wary of their surroundings.

As they take the steps, they look down to see an elephant trapped under a pillar.

"Oh, no." (Y/N) coos, sliding down immediately. "Easy, girl. Easy." She mutters, carefully making her way towards her and the other two follow.

"She's trapped. But I don't think she's wounded." Nadine states.

"Those explosions we heard must've triggered the collapse." Chloe adds, watching (Y/N) gently sit on the elephant.

The pair follow her lead, putting their feet on the pillar and counting down. "Go." Chloe instructs and the three push, making the pillar fall back and the elephant stand, taking them with her.

"We need to get down." Nadine says as the elephant begins moving. "Just stay calm!" (Y/N) exclaims, situated at the front with Chloe in the middle.

"Are you talking to us or the elephant?" Nadine asks her and she shrugs. "Both?"

They slow down to a more even pace and the two relax except for Nadine, who seems to tense. "Where's it taking us?"

"Wherever it wants." Chloe replies.

(Y/N) reaches up, pulling down a branch holding mangoes. One by one, she feeds them to the elephant, smiling all the while and sighs in content. Throwing the branch to the side, the rest of the ride is sat in silence until they come out to a clearing, the light spilling in along with a more tranquil setting.

Chloe looks back at Nadine, who looks away and she sighs. "Look, I... um... I'm not very good at the whole people thing." She admits.

"You're a selfish dickhead." 

"Yeah. You're right. I am a selfish dickhead."

"Ja. It's good to hear you say it." Nadine says and the two laugh.

"Well, did you hear that, dad? I did get something from you after all." Chloe states, looking at her figure.

"For it's worth, you're not all bad either. You just got a terrible choice in men." Nadine tells (Y/N) and she chuckles. An awkwardness fills the air and Nadine nudges Chloe. "What happened with your father?"

"He was the guy that couldn't walk away. The Ministry of Culture offered to finance one more of his expeditions. 'Cause this time, he was onto something big." She scoffs. "He was always onto something big."

Chloe pauses, turning the figure over. "But, bandits raided his camp and, um..." she trails off. "Local authorities found him weeks later. And this stupid thing is all I have left of him."

"I'm sorry." Nadine says.

"Oh, hey - he certainly made his choice. Not as bad as (Y/N)'s dad." Chloe jokes.

"My dad was obsessed with a complete different treasure. Died in a 'car accident'." (Y/N) states, shaking her head. ''He had my mom in the front seat.'' 

"Look -" Nadine begins but the elephant begins charging. "Tell it to stop!" She shouts.

"Yeah because I speak elephant." (Y/N) answers back, rolling her eyes. The said animal drops down into water, making the trio fall off into it and they stand, coughing and spluttering but laughing nonetheless.

"Look at that." Nadine points.

A whole family of elephants was behind them and Chloe chuckles. "No wonder she was so distressed."

(Y/N) looks down at her ring and then to Nadine. "About the whole Sam thing -"

Nadine waves a hand, cutting her off. "Look, I get it, right? I've got my own shit to sort out as well." She smiles. "Let's not have that stand in the way anymore?"

(Y/N) nods. "Okay. Deal."

Chloe pats them both on the back. "Look at you two getting along." She says, moving past to take a look at the elephants. "If we accomplish nothing else today, at least we've reunited a family." She states, pulling out her phone to take a picture.

"I'll take this one. You and (L/N) should get in it." Nadine tells her, taking the phone.

"Oh, thanks."

The two move in front of the family and Nadine positions them both to make it look like they were petting the elephant. "Much safer way."

The three make their way up stairs, at the top sat cases and they each take a gun from them. They carry on, up and around the cliffs. Swinging and jumping over different parts until they climb the stairs being cascaded with water from the waterfall.

"I see some light through the water." (Y/N) states, ducking under the stone and marvelling at the sight.

"Woah."

Chloe stands next to her and smirks. "Hello, Belur."

"You know it's not everyday you get to see a totally hidden city that nobody else has seen for centuries

"You know it's not everyday you get to see a totally hidden city that nobody else has seen for centuries." She adds.

Nadine raises an eyebrow. "Apart from Asav."

"Apart from Asav." Chloe repeats in a mocking tone.

"And a few of his men." (Y/N) says.

"And a few of his men." Chloe does the same thing.

"You ready?" Nadine asks her.

"You two both just totally crushed that moment. You know that, right?" Both give her a look and she nods. "Yeah, I'm ready."