Part 23

Flashback

"(Y/N), I love you so much. Will you marry me?"

"No, too cheesy." Nate says and Sam rolls his eyes. "Just do it straight up."

"Straight up, huh?" Sam repeats and his little brother nods. "Alright, I can do that." He straightens the bottom of his shirt and the two stop outside the door of her apartment.

"Ready?" Nate asks and his brother nods, allowing him to knock on the door. They open it up, having been here enough times to know she wouldn't mind them coming in.

The letter rack was flowing with both Sam and (Y/N)'s paperwork. Her keys situated in the pot and her high-heels near the front door and magazines stacked neatly on the table.

"(Y/N)?" Sam calls and the two enter, closing the door behind them. They pass the counter and head towards the kitchen, stopping still in the doorway.

(Y/N) sat, silent at the table. A man stood behind her, his brown hair slicked and a smile on his face. "Samuel... I was told this would be your current living address." He speaks with a calm, calculating voice.

"Rafe, I told you not to bring her into this. Me and Nathan, we agreed we'd split the treasure with you if you got us into the prison." Sam says.

"Relax, Sam, what did you think I was going to do? I'm just here to talk business." Rafe chuckles.

(Y/N) looks up at Sam, shaking her head slightly and standing up. "Guess you won't be needing me, then."

"No, (Y/N). Wait." Sam goes to take her arm when she walks past but she shrugs him off, slamming the door behind her.

Later that night - long after Rafe had gone - Sam sits in the chair, leaning back as he blows out smoke from his cigarette. There's the sound of a key in the door and it opens, making him stub the cigarette in the ashtray and bolt up.

"(Y/N)?"

"I'm tired." She states, going straight for the bed.

"Honey, come on." He pleads and she turns to him.

"You told me. You stood there and you looked me in the eyes and what was it you said?" She asks, her eyes burning.

"We could do with the -"

"I won't take his offer, (Y/N), I promise. Me, you and Nathan, we'll find a way to get Avery's treasure ourself." She repeats his words.

"I didn't know how hard it would be!" He exclaims.

"Bullshit."

"Fine. Fine. I didn't want you involved with that kind of thing. It's too dangerous."

"And why couldn't you tell me you got Rafe involved? You don't know what he's capable of."

"I - I don't know." Sam admits.

(Y/N) scoffs, rolling her eyes and turning back for bed.

"We needed the help. We could do with a cut of that treasure, now more than ever." He calls after her.

"We're perfectly fine at the minute!" She shouts.

"I took our last savings and I spent it." He admits with a sigh. Turning slowly, her hands tighten into fists. "You what."

"I took our money and spent it." He repeats and she sighs, heavily.

"This. This is why we need rich boy Adler involved? Because you're so stupid and wound up spending money we can't afford to lose." She asks him in frustration.