eight.

THE SUN BARELY ROSE AND IT was cold outside, the cold air sending shivers down Danielle's spine

THE SUN BARELY ROSE AND IT was cold outside, the cold air sending shivers down Danielle's spine. She was at the lake in the forest. Her lips were blue and her skin was pale and all she wore was a pair of torn pants and a thin jacket. The world looked blue, and the lake looked calm, water lapping, the sound calming her. She began walking towards the lake, and a woman came back up to the surface, surprising her.

The woman's hair was a dark green and her skin was a beautiful white, her cheeks a rose colour. She wasn't wearing anything to cover her chest, and Nel stared at her in confusion. The man had come towards the girl in the water and the green haired beauty smiled charmingly. Suddenly, the man's face morphed into another one's, who's face was half burnt. His nails extended and as he went to kill the girl, she bared out sharp teeth and her hands, which were clawed, something in between each finger, reached for his neck, and pulled him down, underwater.

Danielle waited in anticipation, for him to return to land.

But he never did.

▪▪▪

DANIELLE WOKE UP WITH A JOLT, shivers crawling up and down her spine. She looked at her arm to see goosebumps, so she ran her hands quickly over them, the friction creating much needed heat. She glanced around her still dark room, which was only lit up by the early sun. She checked the clock to see that it was five in the morning.

Great, she thought. I'm missing an early swim again.

Thoughts of last night came at her like a truck, and again, she shivered. Whatever that thing was, she knew to stray away from it. And then she remembered Scott McCall, and she got angry. How dare he leave them alone? Heck, how could he leave his girlfriend alone?

She threw the blanket off of her and swung her legs to the floor, warm skin against the cold wood floor. She stood up and walked towards her bathroom, brushed her teeth and stripped away her clothes and stepped into the shower. She switched the water to warm and sighed in content at the water hitting her skin. 

Nel loved singing in the shower. She absolutely loved how her voice would come back at her, filling her ears, and the water with it, the sound lower than her voice. It was like being in a cave, singing alone, near sea.

She hummed a tune and smiled when her voice filled the small cubicle, the glass covered in fog. She pushed her hair away from her face. She knew this song, but she couldn't get the words.

Finally, she stepped out the shower and changed into a simple red dress, a black leather jacket over it. When she went downstairs, she smiled at her father and brother. She looked at the couch, only to see Simba and Zoey asleep next to each other. She chuckled, making her way over to the kitchen, where her cup of coffee and a big omelet was on the plate next to it. 

She seated herself on the couch, careful not to awake the sleeping dogs. She set her food down on the coffee table and reached for the TV remote and flickered the screen on, only to see the news channel. Max sat beside her, sipping on the tea he loved so much. Bored, Nel was ready to change the channel, but when she saw the headlines, she stopped.