nine.

( currents )

June, 2013                The Mehra's Anniversary Cruise

"I CAN'T JUST GET IN!"

"It's not that difficult! Just do it!"

"It's too big!"

"It's the ocean!" Karan yelled, slapping the back of his hand onto his other hand's palm. Nel huffed in anger as she stared at him with a menacing glare, her jaw clenched. "C'mon, Nel. It's only going to be like, an hour, before the ship crew comes here."

"It's not that easy," she told him as she grabbed onto the railing, looking down. The ocean was quite beautiful at this time in the evening, the sun slowly going down, making the water shimmer. Nel could make out a few schools of fishes and she turned to look at the two boys. "What if I die?"

"You won't, it's water! I mean..."

"Kabir," Karan smacked his arm before looking at Nel. "Look, we have to do this within an hour. If you don't, then it's okay. But if you do, then you have to go right now."

Nel bit the inside her cheek as she turned to the ocean once again, the cold wind hitting her bare skin. Taking in a deep breath, she placed her feet on the railing, swinging her legs across it and standing there, her hands gripping onto the railing as she stared down at the water below her. She turned around to find both the boys looking worried. Karan just gave her a thumbs up and she just sighed, simply letting go of the railing and closing her eyes as gravity did its job.

The wind almost hurt as she fell at great speed and before she knew it, she felt the impact of the water as she went under. They chose the lowest floor so the fall wouldn't hurt, and she couldn't help but thank God for that. Her pretty blue eyes opened as she looked around, holding her breath. It's just swimming, Nel. Pretend this is home, your nice river. 

She was at peace as she started swimming, trying to look at everything she could while holding her breath. The fishes swum around her, looking afraid but intrigued of her, almost as if they recognized what this species was. As she swum around the back of the ship, she realized she was quickly losing her breath, which made her want to go back to the surface again, but she stayed underwater. 

There was nothing. Absolutely nothing. Nothing of the sort she had been seeing for the past few days. She looked up to see the sun slowly setting, the sky getting darker. As she decided to swim back up, she saw something move beside her. She inhaled sharply out of fear, almost forgetting she was in water. She scrunched up her face as she waited for the water to enter her nose and get in her lungs, waited for the burning sensation of salty water in her nose.

But there was nothing.

▪▪▪

September, 2013                Beacon Hills