two.

( cruisin' )

June, 2013                The Mehra's Anniversary

THE CRUISE WAS BEAUTIFUL, EVERYONE BUZZING with excitement for Kamal and Neelam Mehra's 24 year marriage anniversary. All their guests were boarding the ship, families talking to each other, some close, some meeting after a long time because of duels that might have occured a few years ago. Nel felt only somewhat out of place, as she stood there with her suitcase and her dog, Simba. She was glad because pets were allowed on the ship, and apparently, the Mehra's had a dog, too, called Pluto who was a bullmastiff. Us humans say we can't turn back time. But whether time can turn back or not, all the special occasions of human beings take a u-turn and come back each year, which brought us to these packed hampers.

Kabir had immediately greeted her with a hug before greeting Simba, too. He then proceeded to introduce her to everyone, individually. There was Mr. Kamal Mehra, a businessman who built his mighty empire from scratch. A fact he often repeats, Kabir had mentioned. Incase anyone forgets it. Mr. Mehra is referred to as a self made man. One often wonders that if people can make themselves...then why don't they make themselves a little bit better? But what does one do? These days, 'better' is not defined by intelligence, or courage, but by something else. It has to do with something called money. It's what Nel had heard as she greeted each family on board.

There was his wife, Neelam Mehra. Kabir had described their story to Nel openly. Their story was quite romantic to begin with. 18 year old Neelam had run away and married 22 year old Kamal. Over time, they found unbelievable success. But lost each other on the way. Anyway, this is just inside information, Kabir had laughed it off. In front of the world, theirs is a perfect marriage. An ideal couple.

And then his sister, Ayesha Mehra, Neelam and Kamal's first born. But her name is not on the invite alongside yours, Nel had told Kabir, confused. Why would it be? He had asked, bitter. The tradition of our nation is that after marriage, the daughter of the family belongs to another family. The son could have umpteen marriages, he will always remain their own. And so, after 21 years after her birth, Ayesha was married and shipped off to Mumbai to lead a life like all girls in these circumstances. But Ayesha was not typical. Soon after her wedding, she began her own business—an online travel portal. Today, she is the 2nd in the market. Just like her father, she too is self made. The difference is, she doesn't say it.

Nel heard conversations, people congratulating Ayesha on becoming 2nd on top Business people. And it made her frown when Mr. Mehra just smiled and said it would be their son next. She met Ayesha's husband, Manav, who was a little snobby and controlling over his wife. Tradition, Kabir had told her.

They say dogs have a strong sense of smell. But when it comes to sense trouble, humans aren't far behind. Not only do they anticipate danger in advance, they even plan to it. Ironically, the biggest threat to a human being is another human being. To shield themselves, they change themselves to suit the environment. And they become a bit like chameleons. For instance, Mr. Vinod and Mr. Sood, enemies, are shaking hands. When in reality, it is a show of strength. Their wives are smiling at each other, but it is a baring of fangs. Their kids have been instructed to keep a distance, but are sizing each other up.