Ch. 8

He almost gave up.

If it hadn't been for his stupid, idiotic heroic Dum-E, he would be dead.

Rhodey found him there, pulling him up from the floor as Tony grasped at him with shaking hands. "Peter-" he was wheezing, eyes desperate. "Peter- Obadiah-"

"-is gone, Tony, and Peter is in his room. I made sure of it. Somehow he got away from Stane. That kid is smart."

Tony relaxed slightly, stumbling to the suits. "Gotta- gotta help Pepper- take care of him, please Rhodey- take care of my kid-"

Rhodey's hand on his arm cut off his panicked rambling. "You know I will, Tones."

---------------

Peter couldn't sleep.

Whether it was the fact that his dad was off somewhere without him, in danger, maybe hurt, and he couldn't do anything, or the fact that he couldn't stop thinking about how Obadiah had chased him, screaming something about how he would find him, and kill him.

Either way, Peter wouldn't get any sleep until his dad was back safe.

Uncle Rhodey was awesome, but Peter wanted his dad.

Just as his thoughts started to get hazy, the door opened, and someone came in, a soft blue light illuminating his dad's bruised and cut face.

"Dad!" Peter whisper-yelled, throwing himself off the bed and towards his dad, who caught him in a hug, pressing his face into the boy's curls.

"Hey bud," his dad whispered, sounding shaky, and relieved. "You okay?"

Peter have a tiny shake of his head. "I thought Mister Stane was going to kill you!"

"I thought so too," Tony closed his eyes. "You saved me, kiddo. You did."

Peter leaned back, trying to make out his dad's features in the darkness. "Did he hurt you bad?"

Tony stood up, lifting Peter with him, and sat on the edge of the bed. "I'm okay. I'll be fine."

"Okay." The reply was quiet. "Dad?"

A hand brushed through his curls, and he leaned into it with a soft hum. "Love you."

There was a beat of silence before Tony responded, a lump in his throat. "I love you too, bambino. I love you too."

He turned to lay his son down, pulling the blanket from where it had been discarded on the ground, and covering his kid with it. "Time for you to go to sleep, buddy."

"Dad?" The sleepy mumble almost melted his heart, and he gave a soft affirmative. "Can you stay with me? I don't wanna be alone."

"Course I can, mimmo."

Peter rolled away from the edge of the bed, making room for Tony to lay beside him, then settled back into his side with a sigh. "G'night dad."

"Night Pete."