Ch. 31

Sorry for the wait!

Enjoy!

They watched the signing of the accords on television.

The explosion took them by surprise, and they watched in horror as debris shot into the air.

James Barnes was named the terrorist, and the king of Wakanda was killed.

Ned had been unable to join them for the trip, and Harley was visiting his mom and sister.

Peter bit his nails, anxiously watching for more bad news.

May reminded him that Tony had the suit, and would be fine, but that didn't stop Peter from calling at the earliest opportunity.

Tony didn't answer the first call, or the second, but he answered the third.

His voice was tired, but calm as he explained what was going on, more than what the news was showing.

When they disconnected, May wrapped her arms around him in a tight hug. "He'll be okay, baby. He always is."

They docked back at New York two days later.

May had enjoyed the cruise more than Peter had, seeing as the teen was stressed about not being there, worried about his dad, angry at the flipping world, and all around an anxious mess.

Happy met them at the waterfront, loading their bags into the back of the car, and opening the door for May.

"Change of plans," he explained briefly. "You're both going to the apartment. Tony's busy, said he'll call when you can come back."

May squeezed Peter's shoulder. "I'm sure everything's fine, baby."

"Yeah. Right. Fine. As if anything-" he hit the back of the seat frustratedly. "-could possibly go wrong!"

"Peter," she said sternly. "Stop acting like that."

"Like what, May?" Peter glared at her, chin trembling. "Like I'm a child, shipped off to where I can't be a bother? Well guess what, I hated that the first time, and I hate it now!"

He swiped angrily at his eyes, infuriated by the wetness.

Happy rolled up the divider, giving them some privacy.

"Peter, sweetheart, it's not like that," she tried.

Peter shook his head stiffly, glaring at the window. "Then what is it like, May? Cause from here all I can see adults deciding for me, whether I like it or not!"

"Peter, this is for-"

"If you say this is for my own good, I'm gonna scream. It was 'for my own good' when I was eight. And now it's the same freakin' thing."

"Peter, please-"

"No, May. I'm sick of this, him pushing me away, and acting like he's all apologetic until he does it again. It's not fair."

The last words came out as a broken, choked sob that he tried to smother in his fist. "It's not fair."

May leaned closer, pulling him into a tight hug. "It's okay, sweetheart. We'll get all of this figured out, and I'll talk to him, okay? Everything's going to be fine."

Peter cried quietly into her sweater, tiny sobs shaking his shoulders as she ran a hand soothingly over his back, singing softly.

Eventually he stilled, hiding his blotchy face against her neck. "I'm so tired," he whispered. "I want it to stop."

When they reached the apartment, Hapoy carried their luggage in himself, with a sympathetic look in his eyes that made it apparent he'd heard their conversation.

"It'll be okay, kid," he said quietly, resting a hand on Peter's shoulder. "I promise."

"Yeah." Peter smiled faintly. "Thanks Happy. I think I'm just going to go to bed."

The bodyguard/surrogate uncle nodded, giving him another hesitant smile before leaving.

"Peter?" May pushed the door to his room open, giving a slight smile. "This might cheer you up."

Harley was sprawled across the pallet, hair dishevelled, and blanket thrown off all but one of his legs.

"Pepper texted me," May said softly. "Said she gave him the key, hoped it would cheer us a bit."

"Huh." Peter walked to his bed, faceplanting on the pillow. "I'll deal with him in the morning."

"Peter, it's five in the afternoon."

"Can't hear you May, I'm sleeping away my problems."

"I love you kiddo."

"Yeah. I know."

"Tony loves you too."

"Yeah."

Hooooooo boy was that a ride or what, amiright?

Sorry it took so long to update, but I hope you enjoyed!

Next up, be ready for some fluff with our boys (Harley and Peter), cause they really deserve it, although Tony and Peter still have some TALKING to do, yes?

Anyway. Whatcha think of that curveball? The one where Peter feels like he's being sent away all over again? A source of MAJOR CHILDHOOD TRAUMA?????

Am I evil or am I evil

You don't have to answer that.

Anyways.

Comment and vote if you enjoyed!

Love you guys!

Author out