Ch. 16

"Hey Spiderboy!"

Peter spun around, awkwardly shoving the last bite of his sandwich in his mouth, and pulling the homemade mask down.

The Ironman suit was behind him, hovering just slightly above the concrete of the roof.

"Oh. Uh- hi. Sir." He struggled to keep from laughing, instead bringing his voice down to where it would hopefully be less recognizable.

"Just the guy I was looking for."

Peter blinked. "That would be why?"

Crap. I'm going to die. He's going to find out, and I'm going to die.

Or he'll tell May, and they'll kill me together.

"Because I am on the lookout for potential new blood, and you're pretty competent. Mind coming by the compound to train a bit with Steve and Nat, see if you're what we're looking for? Well, Captain America and Black Widow."

"Uh..."

Holy crap this is awkward.

"You can say no. Just because it's the avengers doesn't mean we're going to come after you or anything if you refuse... or... yeah..." he trailed off. "So I really need an answer, cause my- my... intern, that's it. Intern. My intern is coming to help me with... top secret stuff. Yeah."

Peter suppressed a giggle, failing when a stifled snort came out instead.

"What's so funny?"

"I'm- I'm sorry. Not funny. Not funny at all. Stop laughing."

Tony's eyebrow lifted. "Uh... I'm not?"

"Shush. Talking to myself here."

"Ah."

Regaining control, Peter cleared his throat. "Sorry 'bout that. I have the power to make any situation awkward."

"Seems we share that," the older man sighed.

"So you have a son, right?"

He immediately regretted the question, gritting his teeth as Tony stiffened. "What did you say?"

Peter winced. "Well, there's pictures... and you were pretty obviously lying about the uh- intern, so... dont worry," he added quickly. "Not like I'm telling anyone. Or like they'd believe me. And... there I go making it awkward."

Tony let out a sigh. "Am I just an open book to you?"

The teen shrugged, grateful that his identity was secret. "Meh. Not really, but that was a horrible lie. Intern? For top secret stuff?"

"Okay," Tony huffed. "Wise guy. Yes, I have a son. He's- he's pretty much everything I could've wanted him to be. That's due to his aunt, though. I can't take credit for that part. Even though I wish I could."

"So..." Peter gulped. "Uh. Did you... like, is he adopted, or yours biologically?"

Tony tilted his head. "Why so curious?"

"Just- you're Iron Man, dude. You're literally the coolest superhero ever. And you have a son that no one knows about, and so naturally I'm curious. Wouldn't have pegged you for the dad type."

"Neither would I. But I guess I'm not doing too bad. Hasn't told me he hates me yet, so I suppose that's good."

"Yeah." They lapsed into silence, Peter silently wondering how he could escape.

"You know he's a pretty big fan? Of you, I mean."

Beneath the mask, Peter's cheeks turned pink, and he had to bite down on his lip to contain the laugh threatening to break free.

Ince again, it didn't work, and he started laughing silently, the hilarity of the situation hitting. "I'm- I'm sorry, but this is too great!"

Laughing harder, he got to his feet, saluting the older man. "Well, tell your son that I'm a big fan of his dad, so... Seeya Iron Man!"

He launched himself off the building, catching himself with a web at the last second.

So wow.

That just- happened.

I'm tired. Enjoy.

Next up: Peter and Tony being adorably awkward, and Tony being an oblivious idiot, (don't worry, we still love him).

Discussions discussions discussions.