Ch. 35

In which the boys FINALLY talk, Happy is... well, NOT happy. And Tony creates a new nickname for the Spiderling.

The hotel was huge.

The entrance was taller than a two story building in itself, and chandaliers lit up the walls with bright light.

"C'mon. We're on the third floor."

Almost as soon as they left the elevator, Happy stopped by a door, gesturing to it. "This is you."

"Oh, we’re neighbors?" Peter tipped his head. "So I'm assuming Dad is in either a different part of the hotel... or a different hotel entirely?"

Happy shrugged. "More or less. Suit up."

"Wait, I don't- should I wear my old suit or what? Just- it kinda looks junky."

"There's a case," Happy said impatiently.

"Really? What case?"

The bodyguard opened another door, gesturing to a silver case on the coffee table.

"Ah." Peter picked up a small handwritten note on the top, flipping it open.

'A minor upgrade- dad'

"A minor upgrade?" Peter unbuckled the first lock, then jerked his hands away as it unfolded by itself.

A red and blue suit waited, immaculate, with- frankly, awesome holograms around it.

"Whoa," Peter breathed. "Oh my gosh. This is so cool."

"C'mon," Happy said firmly. "Put it on."

"This is the coolest thing I’ve ever seen," Peter said softly. "Wow. Is it- is it mine?"

"Don't see any other red and blue arachnid themed vigilantes around here, do you? Now get suited up, but put something on over it. We have to go."

"We're meeting up with Tony in fifteen, got it? He's got some ground rules for you, gonna explain what you'll need to do."

"Oh boy. This'll be fun."

"Hey, Peter?" Happy glanced back through the mirror. "Go easy on him. Uh, this is- this is a really bad time, and he needs your support. Pepper- well, him and Pepper are taking a break. It's just not a good time. He's broken up about that, kinda hating himself for pushing you away, and now all this... okay? Just take it easy on him."

"Yeah." Peter dropped his head to his knees. "Yeah, okay."

When they pulled up outside another hotel, Happy got out, nodding for Peter to follow him.

They walked in silence until they got to the room, where Happy turned to the teenager. "He misses you like crazy. Just... take it easy."

"Yeah."

He pulled up his phone, tapping the screen, and holding it to his ear.

After a few seconds, he rolled his eyes. "Yes, Tony. I have the kid. We're outside your door. Wanna let us in?"

He listened a few more seconds before hanging up, and tapping a code into the pad on the door.

It swing open, and Peter followed Happy into the spacious suite.

Happy pointed to a couch. "Stay here." Then he disappeared into another room.

It had barely been a minute when Tony appeared, and Peter winced at the impressive black eye he was sporting. "What happened to you?"

"To be honest?" Tony dropped heavily into the seat. "I don't even remember the details. I think I had a concussion."

Peter nodded silently, staring at his hands as he tried to think of something to say.

Tony beat him to it. "Peter?"

The teenager looked up, meeting his dad's eyes, and noticing with a jolt that they were wet.

"There's a lot of things I need to say," Tony said quietly. "I'm sorry, first off. I've been in a bad place recently, and I took it out on you, and pushed you away, when I had promised I wouldn't. I just- I need you to know that it isn't you, okay? It wasn't anything you did, I was just- it was unfair of me to put that on you."

He took a deep breath. "This isn't going to be like before, I promise. May told me what you said, and... I get it. I'm just not doing the best job of being a parent at the moment, kiddo." Tony smiled wryly. "Guess I've got a lot to learn, huh?"

Peter shrugged one shoulder, the corner of his mouth lifting. "Can't all be perfect."

His dad laughed softly, nodding. "Ain't that the truth."

Happy chose that moment to reappear, leaning around the door frame. "We need to leave in twenty, so better debrief the kid."

"Right." Tony scanned Peter from head to foot, giving a slight grin. "Suit fit okay?"

"It's amazing," Peter tried to suppress the overexcited grin. "Fits like a dream, seriously."

"Good. Alright. You know the basic happenings?"

"Yeah. Natasha sorta went over it in the car. We're trying to bring them in peacefully, right?"

Tony nodded. "Yup. Steve and his friend probably won't come easily, though."

"Right. Which is where I come in, I'm guessing? Web 'em down, try to keep them that way?"

"Yup." His dad narrowed his eyes. "And only that. If you get yourself injured, I'm murdering both you and Natasha."

"Got it." Peter leaned back, folding his legs under him. "What's my cue?"

"Your... cue?"

"Yeah, y'know, the line you say when you want me to come in?"

"Oh... that. Uh..." Tony hummed thoughtfully. "How about Underoos?"

"What- no, Dad, that's a horrible cue!"

"No, I like it, I'm sticking with it."

"I hate you so much."

"No you don't."

"No, I don't. Sadly."