Ch. 37

Unless you guys follow me, which most of you don't, then you haven't seen the announcement...

Long story short, a ton of stuff has happened, my grandad died, my brothers are going to live with my dad, my depression is spiraling... anyway.

Point is, this might be the only update for a bit, until we get this sorted out.

I'll try not to be gone too long (what would you guys do without me?) but I don't have a time frame.

I hope you guys enjoy this chapter.

Peter was in the process of swinging to help his dad when the shield cut cleanly through his web, sending him down.

He landed back onto his feet easily, watching Steve warily. "Gotta say, that thing does not obey the laws of physics."

"Look kid," Steve started. "There's a lot going on here that you don't understand."

"My- uh... Mr Stark said you'd say that. Wow." He fired a web, sticking to both Steve's shield and his ankle.

He jerked on it, and Steve slid towards him, where Peter proceeded to kick him backwards, then roll clear. "He also said to go for your legs." Then, quieter, he added, "because your shield is ze size of a dinner plate," he grinned. "And you're an idiot."

As Steve headed for his shield, Peter webbed his hands and pulled.

Steve spun, and went into a somersault, catching him off guard, and propelling Peter through the air.

He caught the next web, deflecting the attack easily. "What else did he say?"

"That you're wrong," Peter said loudly. "You think you're right. That makes you dangerous."

Steve kicked him backwards onto the gangway's leg, denting the metal heavily. "Guess he had a point."

He threw the shield at the same leg, and the gangway fell with a resounding creak. Peter caught it with a grunt of exertion.

"You got heart, kid." Steve remarked. "Where're you from?"

Peter scoffed lightly. "Queens."

"Brooklyn."

Peter rolled his shoulders as the other man walked off. "Oh you're gonna pay for that, dude."

There was a sense of awe when the tiny dude turned big.

Then that quickly evaporated when he sent Rhodey flying.

Peter managed to catch him, turning him away from an intended crash.

After that he proceeded to make himself a general annoyance to the giant guy, by crawling into his eyesight, and banging on the eyepiece. "Any sentient life in here?" He yelled.

"Get off," the guy rumbled, swiping at him.

The giant man was distracted enough that he didn't see Vision until it was too late, and the android was phasing through him.

Peter grinned as the giant yelped, clutching his chest. "Something just flew in me!" His voice was horrified.

The teen leapt off, swinging around closer to where his dad and Rhodey were fighting. "You guys ever seen The Empire Strikes Back?"

"Jeez, Tony, how old is this guy?"

Peter grinned as his dad sounded exasperated. "I didn't carbon date him. He's on the young side."

"But remember that part-" Peter swing towards the giant. "Where they're in the snow planet- with the walking thingies?"

He wrapped webs around the legs of the huge suit, grinning as they caught on to his idea.

"Wait- he has a point."

"Go high, Tony, HIGH NOW-"

Peter threw himself around again, one last loop, as the two both landed hits on the giant's helmet, sending him toppling.

One giant hand caught Peter as he tried to swing away  sending him flying into a hard surface, and his vision went black.

He shot up, feeling hands gripping his arms, and nearly headbutted his dad.

"Hey, calm down kiddo," Tony said firmly. "It's just me."

"Oh." Peter sank back, clutching his ribs. "Hi. That was-" he began. "Wow."

"Yup. You're done."

"Wait-" Peter struggled upright again. "I can't- I gotta get back out there! I need to help!"

"No, Pete, you did a good job, but you're done, okay?"

The teen resisted a few more seconds, but eventually relented, slumping back onto the concrete. "Okay, okay, fine. Be careful."

"Deal." His dad glanced around quickly, making sure no one was watching, and pulled him into a hug. "Good job. I'm proud of you. Now stay here."

"Okay."

Peter watched from far away, horrified, as Rhodey plummeted to the ground.

As his dad landed beside the fallen soldier.

As the quinjet disappeared into the sky.

He watched, closer this time, as the doctors sent him into a CT scan.

He watched the angry conversation between his dad and Natasha, and gave her a long hard stare as she passed.

"Great job, Nat," he said emotionlessly.

She passed by without a second glance.

He moved forward, resting one hand over his ribs, and one on the railing, standing close to Tony. "Is he gonna be okay?"

"Doctors say he shattered L4 through S1." Tony shook his head wearily. "Extreme laceration in the spinal cord. Probably looking at some form of paralysis."

Peter let out a heavy sigh. "God."

"Not sure he was looking at the moment," Tony said sarcastically. "But sure."

Immediately he winced, inhaling sharply, and dropping his head. "Sorry. I'm- I'm sorry."

Peter shrugged, only flinching slightly at the pain. "I know you're just stressed, not actually mad at me. Don't worry about it."

The small movement caught his dad's eyes, and Tony turned to him, squeezing his shoulder. "You okay? That was a pretty hard fall earlier."

"Yeah." Peter shrugged again. "Just bruised."

Tony looked like he wanted to say something else, but a faint sound came from his wrist, and he activated the holograph, studying the images appearing on his wrist device. "What am I looking at, Friday?"

"Priority upload from Berlin police."

Tony exhaled sharply. "Fire up the chopper. Pete-"

"I'll be fine," Peter said quickly. "I'll call Happy, and have him pick me up."

"Okay. Be good, stay out of trouble. I love you."

"Love you too."

That's all, folks.

Not literally.

I just wanted to quote that.

Anyway.

Hope you enjoyed?

Questions? Thoughts? Comments?

As always, leave a vote if you enjoyed.