Ch. 14

Tony woke up to the sound of heavy rain.

There was an unfamiliar weight on his side, something warm and heavy.

He relaxed when he heard the soft breathing of his son.

His son.

No one else was in the room, and the TV played quietly, drowning out the sound of his thoughts.

His phone buzzed, and he flipped it over on the coffee table, smirking at the screen.

Rhodey: are you ever going to stop hogging my nephew?

Tin-man: why? You jealous?

Rhodey: Why WOULDN'T I be?

Tin-man: not following you, platypus.

Rhodey: that is my best friend's SON AND MY NEPHEW OF COURSE I WANT TO SPEND TIME WITH THE KID

Tin-man: too bad. Kid's asleep.

{photo attatchment}

Rhodey: why didn't you invite me to the cuddlepile???????

Tin-can: father-son bonding time, sour patch.

Tin-man: Never thought I'd say that

Rhodey: kid's got you wrapped around his finger, all right.

Tin-man: I've been wrapped around his finger since I met him. I just- haven't had the best way of showing it.

Rhodey: well, judging from what I'm seeing, you're doing all right there.

Rhodey: I have a meeting, Tones, so I'll tall to you later.

Tin-man: why not talk to me through it?

Rhodey: because not all of us have the attention spans of a squirrel.

Rhodey: that's one second, if you're still paying attention to my texts.

Tin-man: Ha. Ha. Ha. I can't contain my laughter. How ever did I manage to find such an amusing best friend. And how can I get rid of him.

Rhodey: you know you love me

Tin-man: do I?????????

Rhodey: shut up

He put the phone down when he felt Peter shift against his side.

"Hey kiddo," he kept his voice low. "Sleep good?"

Peter blinked tiredly up at him. "Mm."

He smoothed down him the ruffled curls on top of the teen's head, smiling when Peter leaned into the touch.

"Hungry?"

Peter nodded, a yawn escaping. "Food."

Tony smirked. "That got you awake."

"Mm. No. 'M not gettin' up."

"How are you going to eat, then," Tony scratched his scalp gently. "If you won't get up?"

"Dunno. You c'n carry me."

That got a laugh out of the inventor. "I can, huh?"

"Mm. R'lly strong 'n stuff."

Tony shook his head in playful exasperation. "Are you trying to butter me up?"

Peter widened his eyes, and pouted, fixing Tony with the most pathetic, sleepy, adorable face he had ever seen. "'S it working?"

Tony shook his head. "Fine. Fine! You win." He crouched in front of the couch, adjusting Peter's weight on his back. "C'mon kid. Work with me here."

The teenager's arms wrapped around his shoulders, and his nose pressed against Tony's neck, emitting a sleepy hum. "On'ard ho..."

Stifling a laugh, Tony walked to the elevator, glaring at the ceiling where he could have sworn he heard laughing from. "Kitchen, Fri."

The elevator moved down, with Tony leaning against the wall to keep his balance, and then stopped.

The doors opened.

"What the heck?"

Tony blinked. "Crap."

The sleeping teenager roused, lifting his head. "Dad?"

The avengers blinked as one.