Ch. 33

In which stuff goes down.

They slept in the living room that night, in a huddle of people and pillows, and Peter woke feeling uncommonly rested.

They had watched movies all day, taking breaks to eat, and then more movies, and it was the best day he'd had in weeks.

This morning, they had woken up, and gone grocery shopping before going to a mall to try and have some fun.

It actually worked, until Peter saw the news running more footage of the attack, and the subsequent allegations towards the team as a whole.

That was the first blow, but his good mood came crashing down completely when May's phone rang, and she excused herself from the group, talking quietly and angrily into the device.

She returned with an apologetic look, holding her hand over the speaker. "It's your dad. He wants to talk to you."

Childishly, Peter shook his head.

He had left his own phone at the apartment.

May seemed as if she'd been expecting that answer, merely stepping away again.

When she returned, it was with a subdued look on her face, which she brushed off when asked.

Still, when they got home, Happy was waiting.

Peter stopped short at the sight of the car, a lump rising in his throat.

If Happy was here, then Tony was too.

Suddenly it was all too much, and he backed away from the group, catching Ned's eyes to mouth desperately 'cover me', saw the understanding in his best friend's eyes, and dodged into an alleyway.

By the time he'd made enough turns to be far away, his breathing had slowed, and he was calmer.

It was irrational to be this angry, or this scared of talking to his dad.

Nothing helped calm him though, until he ducked into a small flower shop just off of a main street.

A girl sat behind the counter, humming to herself as she sketched quickly, an eye taking shape as he watched, before she turned to him, shutting the sketchpad. "What can I help you with?"

"Sorry, I'm just-" he pointed helplessly at the door. "Trying to get away from my family."

"Ah." She grinned knowingly, grabbing the pad again. "Say no more. It's pretty cool in here, feel free to look around."

"Thanks."

Leaving her to her art, he wandered around the store, fingers trailing over the broad leaves, thin leaves, grassy plants, everything there, even the flowers, until he realized more than an hour had passed, and May was probably freaking out.

The same girl was at the counter when he came back up, she waved slightly as he pushed out the door. "Have a good day!"

Sadly he doubted it.

At least the car was gone when he reached the apartment, both relieved at having avoided the upcoming confrontation, and guilt for the same.

He climbed up the fire escape, in through his window, and collapsed on his unmade bed.

Not two minutes later the door opened, and Ned popped his head in. "Oh good, you're back. Not like we were worried, or anything."

"I'm sorry, Ned, I just-" Peter shook his head, hiding his face in his knees. "I couldn't do it right now."

"Yeah." Ned squeezed his arm gently. "I get that. You can't avoid it forever, though."

"I know," Peter mumbled. "Believe me, I know."

Just then Harley knocked on the door, voice obviously strained. "Uh... Ned? Peter? There's something on the news..."

They all stared in disbelief at the screen.

'Steve Rogers in custody, along with Samuel Wilson, for aiding in the attempted escape of one James Barnes.'

"Well blast," May said softly.

That about sums it up, Peter thought.

Next up, we get into the reeeally good stuff. Namely Peter getting recruited, Peter and Tony actually talking for once, Harley being a good friend, and SIBERIA'S AFTERMATH.

Comment/ vote if you enjoyed.