2

Steve gave Tony an urgent look. "Witness reports?" He prompted.

"Yeah, it's interesting, actually," Tony began in a sly, nonchalant tone, "according to everyone who's talking about it, the explosion didn't actually kill anyone. People died from secondary causes, like being stuck inside a falling building."

"So, if there was nothing around to fall, like buildings," Steve guessed, "no one would've died?"

Tony pointed a finger to the sky as he confirmed, "that's right."

"Which would explain why they think it's something minorly nuclear," Steve added on.

"Why is that?" Thor questioned, still trying to learn about Earth and it's properties.

Tony answered with a serious frown, "because something happened; something quiet and, in a different setting, seemingly harmless. But it wasn't nothing. And if it's not nuclear, that means it's something worse."

There was silence for a while as the three walked on, thinking critically as they went. "Anything from the survivors?" Thor asked eventually.

"Not a peep," Tony answered. "Like Cap guessed; they're probably being held in a quarantined zone." The man in iron walked over to meet Steve. "And, speaking of you guessing things; what makes you so confident that this wasn't nuclear?" He demanded, "you practically surrendered all three of us to the government back there, just to gain entry. Entry that, correct me if I'm wrong, we could've found on our own, some other way."

Steve stopped walking and squinted down into a deeper part of the crater. Thor also stopped, standing at the captain's other side. Even Tony paused his rant to see what was going on. Down in the center of the large scoop was a body. That wasn't exactly the odd part though; they'd passed by many mangled bodies, sticking partially out of what once were buildings. What struck them as off was how they found the body.

The trio approached slowly, noticing one chilling fact after another. This body was the only one untouched by the surrounding chaos. It laid gracefully on the ground without so much as a bruise. When they reached the body, they found it was that of a girl.

"That's odd," Thor remarked as Tony knelt beside her.

"Jarvis, I need a full vitals scan," he ordered, eyes examining the body.

"Heartbeat, undetected," Jarvis began to list, "viens, inactive; blood pressure, undefined; brain activity, silent. Status determined: non-living."

Steve sighed in empathy. He was hoping they'd found another survivor, but it seemed she was not so lucky. He had to do a double take, however, when he made another strange observation. "Is it just me, or is she a little..transparent..?"

"No, she definitely is," Tony confirmed, carefully putting a hand onto her shoulder. Though she was slightly see-through, her form was as solid and real as his own.

Tony only stood again when he heard Thor marvel, "I believe we have discovered the source of the explosion."

The three men looked around themselves as the last puzzle piece fell into place. Every single structure that was knocked down in the catastrophe had fallen away from where the girl lay. It was her. The transparent girl. Tony looked up to the clouded sky, the back down to her. She wore a navy blue full-body suit of thick material, decorated with details of gold. Her hair was styled into a short, white, pixie cut.

(Can y'all stop being pointlessly rude in the comments about how she looks? She's pale, deal with it

(Can y'all stop being pointlessly rude in the comments about how she looks? She's pale, deal with it. I could explain why she's looks the way she does, but see that would spoil the story. If you have a problem with how I designed MY OC, for MY story, you can leave, thanks.)

"Well," Tony began in sorrow-hinted voice, "looks like whatever happened here with her is done. For good."

"We should take her back with us still," Steve insisted, "see if we can at least figure out what happened."

The captain was about to crouch down to lift the girl, but Thor stopped him. "Wait," he bellowed, "something tells me this is not over yet."

"She's dead," Tony reminded.

Then, Jarvis began to speak inside of his helmet. "Sir, I believe you've misinterpreted my analysis," he spoke respectfully, "the girl is not alive, but she doesn't appear to be dead, either."

"What?" Tony demanded. Steve and Thor, who hadn't heard Jarvis this time, gave Tony an urgent look.

"Brain activity, detected," Jarvis noted suddenly.

Tony let his Iron Man mask fold back, revealing a pale face. He looked down at the girl in slight terror. "She's not dead," he announced quietly.

Thor knelt beside the girl and put his large hand over her chest. "She has no heart beat," he inquired in confusion.

"Sir, I believe she's waking up," Jarvis claimed. And just then, the girl's eyes opened. Shining like a silver galaxy, they looked around in wonder.

Remaining beside the girl, Thor helped her to sit up. Her eyes landed on him with alarm. The clouds shifted in the sky, letting the sun flicker before disappearing again. For that split second of sunlight, the girl flickered as well. She'd vanished completely in the light of the sun before appearing again, shocking all three Avengers.

"It's alright," Thor cooed, trying to calm her down, "we're not going to hurt you." He went to grasp her hand and help her up, but she pulled away from him quickly.

The girl stood abruptly becoming visibly anxious at being surrounded by the three men. Her body began to glow with a gentle white light. For a moment, the Avengers were memorized by it's beauty, until it grew brighter. Thor frowned and shouted to Steve and Tony, "look away!"

They turned their heads away just in time. The light explode outwards quickly and silently, kicking more dust up into the air and even disrupting the clouds above. Sun now beating down, the three looked to where the girl once stood. She was gone.