9

• • •

Loki sat on his bed with a deep sigh. He was bored again, but his mind was alive with memories. So many nights he had spent watching the stars move across the sky. Estrial was one of the few that was never named as part of any constellation. In that sense, he had felt connected to her; part of something, yet still alone. That was why he favored her.

It was when Estrial disappeared from the sky that Loki began to lose hope for himself. The only thing he'd ever been able to relate to was gone, or so he thought. But now, she was back; his hope was back. Loki had never been one to confide in others or share his feelings truthfully, and that was because of what he was; like a star belonging to no constellation.

He found himself wishing that he could've known that she was still out there somewhere. Perhaps he wouldn't have fallen so far into his own selfish jealousy. But then again, he might never have reunited with her. If he'd never made his first defining act of treachery in Asgard, Thor would never have been cast out. Midgard would never have become so important to the Asgardian princes. And when Estrial fell to the mortal realm, Loki wouldn't have been there to meet her.

The star who'd turned human, even if only partly. Loki imagined her in his mind. Her short white hair and beautifully soft features. She was short and thin, giving off a delicate and sensitive aura that matched her personality perfectly. As a star, it was easy to admire her. But now as a human, Loki had to fight with himself; he knew that if he let himself admire her as he once did, much more serious feelings would sprout. And as blissful as he knew that could be, it scared him.

"Brother," Thor's voice ripped through the silence.

Loki looked up, desperately trying to hide his surprise. He'd been so deep in his thoughts that he hadn't heard Thor approach his cell with Estrial. Thankfully, he was a master of covering his true reactions, especially when they could be embarrassing. "Back again so soon?" He observed with a cool grin.

Estrial stepped into the cell, breifcase in hand. She sat it down on the small table in Loki's cell and clicked it open without a word. The God of Mischief stood and walked over to her slowly, peering over her shoulder in curiosity.

"I will go alert the guards to remove this wall," Thor announced, gesturing to the wall of magic before walking away.

A shocked look in his eyes, Loki watched his brother leave. "..What's going on?"

"We are leaving," Estrial answered in her usual timid voice. She picked up one of the cuffs and turned toward Loki. Startled by how closely he stood to her, she jumped back a bit. He seemed to find this amusing as a smirk played on his thin lips.

"My, my...are you breaking me out of jail?" He wondered in a playful voice.

"No," Estrial responded without further explaination. She then held out one of her hands to him. "Hand," she stated.

Loki stared down at her, his mind slipping once again into a daze where all that seemed to exist was her. He lifted his left hand first, not even caring to ask again what was happening. When Estrial's hand touched his, pleasant shivers shook through his body. She placed the gold cuff over his wrist, watching in wonder as it closed around his arm into a tight bracelet.

Realizing how the cuff squeezed right against his skin, Estrial grew alarmed. She looked up at Loki quickly and asked, "does it hurt?"

Meeting her silvery gaze, Loki felt all of the air leave his lungs in a sudden huff of awe. She was absolutely breathtaking. "No," he assured her calmly. Pulling his hand away, he moved it around a bit. "It's actually quite comfortable."

Estrial grew visibly relieved. She nodded in understanding. "Hand." Loki gave her his right hand on cue. Again, the fallen star secured a golden cuff to it. He smiled a bit at the sight of her small hands on his much larger one. And she seemed just as fascinated. His fingers were much longer than hers, but slender and delicate. Her hands lingered there for a while, tracing over his skin in wonder. So long she'd watched him, but never touched. "...Soft..." She whispered.

Loki shifted his feet uncomfortably. Not that he didn't enjoy Estrial's cute remark, but he wasn't sure what to say in reply. Thankfully, he didn't have to. The transparent, yellow wall vanished with a small flash, pulling both of their attentions away from each other. Estrial released Loki's hand and walked out of the cell to meet Thor, who was marching back toward them. "It is time to go, brother."

Loki scoffed dryly. "Go where?" He asked with a sneer. "Asgard?" He guessed, "need I remind you that Odin isn't allowing me back? As part of my punishment?"

"We're not going to Asgard," Thor corrected.

"Tower," Estrial muttered, shyly beckoning for Loki to follow her. She didn't like being in the lead, but he wasn't leaving the cell.

Loki blinked a few times in confusion as he finally stepped over to the others. "The tower?" He questioned, laughing as if it were a joke, "this is going to be interesting. Don't your friends still want to kill me?"

"Indeed," Thor confirmed with raised eyebrows, "I think that's part of the point of you being forced to live with them now."

Giving his brother a sarcastic smile, Loki remained silent. Thor began to lead them out of the building. Estrial hung back with Loki as they walked, assuring him with an innocent smile, "I will not let them kill you."