39

Loki gave the star a curious, sideways glance at her odd proclamation. But before he could ask why she was acting strangely, the elevator beeped and the doors opened. The elevator led straight into the massive living room that the Avengers often hung out in when they weren't training or fighting aliens.

The entire floor smelled strongly of whatever Thor was baking as the couple stepped out of the elevator. A few of the Avengers were hanging about, talking amongst themselves. But all Estrial wanted to do was shower and read until the party began. So she and Loki went back to their room, and she did just that.

• • •

"Are you quite finished yet?" Loki asked as he knocked gently on the bathroom door. "You've been in there for nearly an hour, Essy."

After relaxing and reading with her love, Estrial began to get ready for the social event that evening. She'd showered and was now still in the bathroom, 'getting ready'.

Finally, the door opened. Loki immediately realized why she was taking so long. Estrial had dressed herself up in a pencil skirt and blue top, with matching heels. Her hair was styled subtly and combed to the side. She even wore minimal make-up around her eyes.

Loki's eyebrows raised subconsciously as he looked her over, eyes devouring her beauty

Loki's eyebrows raised subconsciously as he looked her over, eyes devouring her beauty. "My, my," he spoke smoothly, a smirk playing on his lips, "you've dressed up nicely."

As Estrial's face reddened in shyness, Loki carefully pulled her body against his and leaned down to kiss her. The star pushed herself onto tip-toes to reach him, melting into the cool feeling of his lips moving against hers. Loki let his hands travel down her arms to clasp her own hands, but noticed something as he did this. Pulling his lips from hers, he observed curiously, "you're not wearing your cuff."

This was about the third oddity about Estrial that day. She always wore her cuff, unless she was sleeping. There was no way she'd forgotten to put it on, either. Why would she decide suddenly not to wear it? "I do not need it," Estrial insisted with a small smile. She then stepped around Loki to get into the bedroom. "You look nice, too," she added in a sweet tone, refering to the simple black button-up and pants Loki wore.

"Thank you, my darling," Loki cooed as he came to stand beside Estrial. He held his arm out to her in a gentlemanly fashion and offered, "shall we join the others?"

• • •

All of the Avengers sat in the living area, having drinks and eating little snacks. Even Clint had finally decided to show up, after getting over the fact that Loki would be there. It was passed eight o'clock when Loki and Estrial arrived.

"Hey, speak of the devils," Tony announced as he noticed the two approaching. "I was just telling Barton about you two." The other Avengers were all stiffling laughs.

"Charming," Loki sighed, knowing that this couldn't be good. But he decided not to ask, not wanting to start an argument.

"Hey Glowstick, I got something I think you'll like," Tony went on as he made his way over to a counter topped with an assortment of glasses and bottles. The man held up a long, skinny bottle before pouring it into a glass and walking it over to Estrial. "It's not apple juice, but it tastes like apples."

Estrial smiled brightly as she took the glass of wine. "Thank you, Tony."

Then, they all sat down together.

It was just the eight of them that night. Natasha sat between Bruce and Steve, laughing as all of the men took turns trying to pick up Thor's hammer. Even Loki, after some convincing, tried. And although he found himself still to be unworthy, that mattered much less to him than it used to. Steve was the only one able to make the hammer budge, but still could not lift it.

The group passed time by making jokes and telling stories, all the way up until midnight. And when the clock struck twelve, everyone cheered and gave out hugs. Tony, who was the most intoxicated, as usual, insisted on giving everyone a big kiss on the cheek, too. But after that, Loki and Estrial snuck away, as they often did when the social events got to be too much.

Outside, on the same balcony where Loki and Estrial shared their first kiss, the two look up at the stars above. They both leaned over the railing. "This night is blissful, is it not?" Estrial asked with a sigh. The January air filled her lungs and chilled her from the inside, out.

After a moment of silence, the demigod spoke. "Estrial, you've been acting strangely all day," he finally voice his worry, "is something the matter."

The star hesitated for a moment. "..I wanted to spend time with them," she repeated quietly her same answer as earlier that day.

Loki moved to stand infront of her and frowned. "But something is wrong," he pressed on, eyebrows drawn down in concern.

Finally, Estrial decided give in. "This realm...is beautiful," she began, looking out over the city of lights with a grin. That grin faded as she went on calmly, "but here, we are both bound, limited." The star reached down to Loki's hands and ran her fingers over his magic-binding cuffs.

The demigod sighed as he put the pieces of the puzzle together. "So that's what this was all about," Loki realized in a low voice, "you wanted to spend time with all of the others tonight...before leaving them."

"We do not belong here," Estrial told him, meeting his eyes at last, "not yet, not while so much of this world still cannot trust us."

Loki wore a serious look as he responded, "I thought this was your place in the universe now? Your constellation?"

"It is," Estrial reassured, "but they will be here, always..stars do not move, after all."

"They're people, Essy, not stars," Loki reminded her sadly, "there's no guarantee that they'll always be in the same place."

At this, Estrial smiled. "No...but their hearts will be." She gently lifted Loki's hands and removed his cuffs one last time. As she did this, she spoke quietly. "Everyone in this tower...we are all stars that have fallen, left from our original race to be alone," she cooed, "this is why we will always be tied together...by the simple fact that we do not truly belong..anywhere."