24

• • •

As Loki entered the bedroom Estrial shared with him, he frowned. The black-out curtains that the star had insisted on getting for all of her windows were drawn. With no light but that which came from her, it was difficult to see anything. "Darling, I can't see a thing," Loki expressed.

"Please leave it this way," Estrial urged shyly. She gently released him and walked over to sit on the backless couch. There, she sipped her apple juice gingerly.

Loki made his way over to sit beside her. "I hate to see you like this, you know," he told her, concern heavy in his eyes.

"Like 'this'..?" Estrial questioned, unsure what he'd meant.

"Uncomfortable, insecure," he specified, turning his body to face hers. The star wore a look of astonishment on her face; how did he know that she felt this way? Was it truly so obvious? "Do you not love the way you shine in the day light?" He asked in a soft voice, even sounding somewhat hurt. It pained him to think that there was a possibility that Estrial didn't completely love herself.

"It is not that," the star murmured. There was silence to follow as Loki waited for an explanation. Estrial set her mug down, memory shining in her silver eyes. But it was no happy remembrance. "Every day the sun touched Asgard, I became invisible," she finally spoke, "I know that only because the bright eyes that watched would turn away."

Loki's eyebrows were drawn in as he empathized with her. He knew all too well what it felt like to be seen only half of the time. "You're afraid of being invisible," he realized.

"..And forgotten," Estrial added softly. She sighed lightly. "I know that it is selfish," she went on, a look of shame on her face as she hung her head in embarrassment.

Taking her hand into his, Loki gave a reassuring squeeze. "It's not selfish," he insisted, "no one wants to be invisible....though not many have to face that fear as you do, every day." He stood up slowly, pulling the girl up with him. "But you should never believe that you will be forgotten," he told her firmly, lifting her chin with a gentle hand, "even when the sun outshone you so long ago, I was always waiting for your return."

Estrial felt her stomach flutter as a brief sense of happiness erupted, only to be drown out by her sadness. "But, as I have said before," Loki continued to speak sweetly to her, his voice smooth and welcoming, "you are no longer what you once were." As he said this, he slowly let go of her and reached to the black curtain that cover one of the tall windows behind the couch.

A small whimper escaped Estrial's throat at the thought of being in the full sunlight. It was one thing to be in the lighting of a building; she was still mostly visible then. But in the sun, she knew her form would disappear completely. Or so she thought.

"It's alright, Essy," Loki soothed, grabbing the curtain, "trust me." He then thrust the curtain aside. The sudden light blinded them both for a few seconds. Estrial stood frozen in place, staring into Loki's eyes. He moved to another window and opened those curtains as well. He did this until all of the windows in the large room were uncovered.

With the sunlight sparkling up the entire bedroom, Loki turned to where he'd left Estrial. He could still see her, glowing faintly, her features delicately outlined with a subtle silver shine. A smile pulled at his lips as he made his way back over to her. Boy was he glad that his prediction was correct.

Estrial was quite surprised. Loki's eyes were locked onto her; he could see her. Her own eyes widened when he stopped just infront of her. "I still see you," he whispered, putting a hand to her cheek. "The sun will never outshine you again, Estrial," he told her with a grin, "because you're not just a star anymore. You are...so much more." His voice became breathless as he took in her transparent beauty. His gaze flicked between her eyes. "The sun is just another star, that will sleep through it's entire existence. It will never be as great as you, darling."

As he finished this sentence, Loki pulled Estrial against his body and wrapped his arms around her. Her hands landed delicately on his chest as she was smooshed into him. With one arm firmly around her back, and his other hand holding her head against his chest, Loki took a deep breath. He rested his chin atop her head. "I will always see you," he promised softly, "and never could I possibly forget you."

Estrial finally smiled, wiggling her arms out from between their bodies so that she could wrap them around him. She breathed in deeply, picking up on a faint and fresh scent of mint on him. "Even if it's only me, is that enough for you?" Loki purred with a knowing smile, still hugging her tightly, "am I enough for you?"

Estrial pulled her head away from his chest and looked up into his eyes. They were much closer than she'd ever seen them before. Blues and greens danced in his irises, and the emotion of love was strongly defined around his being. "Even if only one will see me, it is enough," Estrial confirmed quietly, "but you...are more than enough."

She wasn't sure why the breath caught in her throat, or why she found herself nearly speechless under his charming gaze. The joy on Loki's face at hearing that he was more than enough for his star made her feel as though she were flying through space once again.