30

As Loki walked off toward the bar, all eyes landed on Estrial. Everyone wanted to know what happened with Nick Fury. So she told them. But she found herself purposefully leaving out the part about how Fury notice Loki's desperation for her. She knew that the demigod would be quite embarrassed if she shared that information.

"So Fury just gave you a second chance?" Steve asked in astonishment. "That doesn't sound like him at all."

"He has his reasons," Thor reminded matter-of-factly. He seemed to already have an idea of what had actually gone down. After all, he knew his brother much better than the other Avengers.

"You mean secrets," Tony corrected with an annoyed frown.

Jane and Steve both seemed to agree with this. But before the conversation could continue, Loki returned. He held two glasses filled with red wine, offering one to Estrial as he sat back down beside her. The star gave him an uncertain look, to which he chuckled. "Don't worry," he assured, "you'll like this one."

So Estrial took a sip under Loki's encouraging gaze. He was right, she liked it. Nodding and smiling, she took another much more confident sip. And as the night went on, she drank more wine with Loki and the Avengers. She only stopped when she began to feel too dizzy to walk. At that point, she switched to drinking apple juice in her wine glass.

But she quite liked the confidence the alcohol gave her. After three or four full glasses, Estrial was speaking up much more than usual, making jokes, and enjoying herself to the fullest. But her laughter remained it's usual, adorable softness that Loki loved so much.

• • •

By the time 1:00am rolled around, many of the guest were gone. Only the five Avengers remained, along with Jane, Estrial, and Loki. Tony was more than drunk, telling stories that were extravagant and obviously overly-embellished. Natasha and Bruce were subtly flirting with each other on a couch. Jane and Thor were on the same couch, laughing at Tony's stories while Steve was trying to get him to calm down.

At some point, Estrial had moved herself to be sprawled over the whole couch that she and Loki shared. Her feet were propped up on one arm of the sofa while her head rested on a pillow in Loki's lap. But no one made any comments. Everyone was either too intoxicated, or in too good of a mood to care. Even the God of Mischief found himself having fun, slightly tipsy from his wine.

Looking down at Estrial's head in his lap, he smiled. She was giggling hysterically at something that had happened nearly twenty minutes ago. Normally, he would find this behavior obnoxious and annoying, but to hear her laugh was nothing but bliss. Her eyes were squinted with joy, and a care-free grin was on her face.

For a moment her eyes met his. Giggling finally subsiding, Estrial sighed deeply; an action that almost made Loki lose his cool. To see her sigh so contently while staring up at him. He couldn't help but wonder if it were just the wine, or if she could possibly be admiring him. The look in her eyes answered his question, though he could hardly believe it. He smiled back at her and began to gently run his fingers through her short hair.

Finally, Steve seemed to pick up on these intimate actions. Being the only sober one left, he did his best to subtly say that it was time for everyone to go to bed. Thor and Jane left first, with Jane being extremely tired. Natasha left next. Bruce did his best to help Steve usher Tony safely to his bedroom. Withing minutes, Estrial and Loki were left alone in the living room.

Still playing with her soft hair, Loki watched her breath steadily, eyes closed in relaxation. "Alright, Essy," he finally spoke, triggering her sleepy eyes to open, "time for bed. You're sleeping tonight."

Estrial nodded in agreement. She hadn't slept since the last time Loki helped her to sleep. And with the addition of the alcohol in her system, she was more than exhausted. She sat up with Loki's help, then stood. Her legs wobbled a bit, making her giggle again. The demigod sighed and shook his head, shooting her a smirk. "You can't walk, can you," he guessed, coming to his feet.

"If I can stand, I can walk," Estrial insisted. But as she took her first step, she stumbled right into Loki. "Oh.." She mumbled, sounding disappointed with herself.

Loki chuckled, swiftly lifting her off of her feet. The star squealed softly as he did this, immediately clutching to his white button-up. The demigod smirked in amusement, one arm under her knees and the other holding her shoulders close to his body. "You're a mess," he teased as he began to walk back to their bedroom.

"I will not deny that," Estrial agreed with a small laugh, letting her head fall against his chest. His temperature was much lower than her own, cooling her down comfortably.

When they reached the room, Loki sat Estrial on her bed. He left her for a moment, taking a minute to close all of the curtain in the room; he didn't want the sun to wake them before they were ready to wake. He then left for the bathroom and changed into sweatpants and a tank top. By the time he left the bathroom and came back into the bedroom, however, Estrial was no longer where he'd left her.

Looking around, he found her glowing on the floor next to his bed. Her dress was in a bunch on the ground and she was wearing a plain black T-shirt of his. He wasn't sure how she managed that, considering the state she was in. But the sight of her glowing softly in his shirt just about melted his heart.