35

• • •

Many gifts were handed out that morning. Estrial was quite surprised to have even recieved a few herself. Even Loki was given a gift from Tony, one that he was to share with the star, he was told. Although he knew from the start that it would be some prank, the demigod opened it. Two jugs of apple juice in a box. Loki was not amused, but Estrial was overjoyed.

There was no party that day. Estrial could feel a rare sense of peace and relaxation in the building. Tony had a bunch of old Christmas movies playing one after the other in the main Avengers living area. It was mostly just for the festive background noise as they enjoyed the day. But Estrial had convinced Loki to watch one with her; she was quite fascinated by the character of Rudolph, with the shining nose.

And as the sun began to fall, so did the snow. White flakes brushed about in the light winds outside every window. A dinner was made, too; a real dinner. Not just whatever was in the kitchen or take-out like usual, but a full and rich dinner. After which, everyone began to do their own thing again. Bruce and Tony had a few drinks together, Thor and Steve had light conversation in the living room.

After a whole day in the constant company of the Avengers, Loki was more than relieved to get some time away from them finally. It hadn't been all bad, though, other than the occasional teasing from Tony. It was even beginning to feel like he was being accepted in the tower. Surely not as an Avenger, but perhaps as an acquaintance.

"Outside," Estrial muttered, beckoning for Loki to follow her out to the balcony.

The demigod grinned and followed her. "As you wish, darling," he cooed. As they entered the snowy outdoors, Loki realized, "you've never seen snow before, have you. Not up close, like this."

"Right," Estrial responded, smiling. She scrunched her nose as a white flake landed on her face, causing Loki to chuckle. "It is cold," she observed, walking over to touch to snow that had gathered ontop of the railing.

"We can go back inside," Loki offered, not wanting Estrial to be uncomfortable.

"No," the star insisted, looking back to him, "I like it."

Loki smiled and walked over to stand beside her. "It's always snowing on Jotunheim," he told her, "where I am from."

To this, Estrial gave a confused look. "You are from Asgard," she countered, eyebrows knit together.

"I was raised in Asgard," Loki corrected, giving her a cheeky grin, "I was born elsewhere."

Estrial recalled the time that the God of Mischief turned his arm blue. It is me, he'd said. "If your magic is bound," she began shyly, "how to you keep yourself hidden?"

Loki knew exactly what she meant. He froze up for a moment; of course the star meant no harm in asking this, but it still made him slightly uncomfortable. To be reminded that his true form was very different from the one he held then. "Because that isn't my magic," he explained. "When my fathe--when Odin..found me, he gave me this form."

"You are flustered," Estrial realized with a small frown, "I am sorry to have asked."

"Don't be," Loki insisted quickly. He paused for a moment, finding himself blushing for some reason. Turning his face from hers, he rubbed the back of his neck. It was completely out of character for him to be so nervous around her, but he couldn't help it on this night. "I-it's doesn't bother me," he stuttered, eyes still adverted.

Estrial smiled playfully, moving to his other side so that she could see his face again. "Can I see?" She asked timidly, innocence shining in her silver eyes. She was currectly in her solid human form, so she clicked the button on her cuff that allowed her to glow naturally. "Please?"

Fear flashed in the demigod's eyes for only a split second, but Estrial caught it. "Essy.." He trailed off, unable to say no, but not wanting to say yes either. He was afraid to see her reaction.

"Do not be afraid," the star coaxed him, taking his hand into hers, "I'm sure your blue is just as handsome."

And with that comment, Loki's heart was send on a roller coaster. His blush deepened, frustrating him even more. But the mixed feelings of love and anxiety grew. His eyes were wide and glued to hers as he silently accepted. Estrial sighed, allowing her energy to strip away his disguise. As Loki felt his skin grow cooler, he swallowed hard. Before long, he was completely exposed.

"..What do you think?" Loki asked, trying to play cool with a sideways smile.

Estrial cocked her head and examined him. Every inch of skin that she could see was blue and marked with elegant lines. "I like this," she told him, allowing her hand to travel up his arm and to his shoulder.

When Loki heard this, his heart lurched again. She liked it? She wasn't terrified? "You see now that I am, in fact, a monster," Loki pointed out, laughing weakly at himself.

"Not at all," Estrial disagreed quietly, shaking her head. A smile graced her lips as she took his hand again, leaving her other hand on his shoulder. "All I see is you..and your emotions..."

Loki finally gave a more confident smile. "Is that so?" He wondered softly, falling into her trance, "and what am I feeling?"

It was Estrial's turn to blush, for she could finally understand his feelings for her. She replied timidly, "something strong, and good."