38

Loki's gaze flicked back and forth between Estrial's glowing silver eyes. He wasn't sure how to feel; though he was glad that she was happy, she'd fallen from grace. A true fallen star. "I would rather live and die than sparkle far above the realms," the star insisted, reading Loki's guilt like a book.

Finally, the demigod began to accept her joy. He cracked his own smirk and teased, "then I guess you're stuck with me."

Estrial leaned up and planted a soft kiss on Loki's lips. They could both feel their souls touch, and their heart beats fell in sync. When the star pulled back, she reminded Loki shyly, "I have always been with you."

And suddenly that was all that mattered anymore. Midgard felt small and unimportant compared to their blossoming relationship. Even the cuffs binding Loki's magic felt as if they'd just vanished. Now, nothing was bigger than them, and nothing could ever separate them again.

• December 31, 2012 •

"Alright, everything sounds good," Bruce confirmed as he pulled a stethoscope away from Estrial's back. Slinging it around his neck, he went on, "I mean, your heart rate's still slow, but your body is stable."

Estrial smiled smally at the doctor. Ever since her heart began to beat, Bruce had insisted on checking her vitals twice everyday to get a feel for what was 'healthy' for her. The conclusion had been drawn now that her heart beat was simply slower than that of a normal human's, pulsing only eleven beats per minute.

And along with her heart, her lungs and other internal organs seemed to come alive. Even in sleep now, Estrial would breath ever so gently.

"Thank you," the star muttered her gratitude as she stood from her seat in the lab.

Loki had been outside of the lab with his brother, waiting for his star to come back to him. It seemed now that they were publicly together, he'd dialed down his possessiveness. In fact he seemed much calmer all together. The violent and ruthless man that had tried to take over New York not even a year ago was becoming much more pleasant company.

"Loki," Estrial's small voice called to him from the entrance of the lab.

The demigod turned to her with a genuine smile. "Essy, darling," he greeted, moving to put a slender arm around her back.

"Bruce says that my heart is healthy," the star announced.

"Well, that is good news," Thor rejoiced with a jolly laugh and a clap on Estrial's shoulder. The star jumped in start but smiled anyway; she was finally growing used to Thor's loudness.

Loki slapped Thor's hand away passive-aggressively before smiling himself. "Indeed, it is."

The older of the brothers had been in an especially good mood ever since finding out about Loki and Estrial's relationship. It was as he'd guessed all along: these two belonged together.

"I'd even say," Tony abruptly entered the conversation, exiting the lab with Bruce. He paused to smirk and raise a single eyebrow, "..it calls for a celebration."

Bruce sighed. "Tony, you said this New Year's Eve would be a calm one," he scolded.

"Hey, relax," Tony replied smoothly, "it's the last party of the year, I promise."

Loki and Bruce both sighed in exasperation, while Tony laughed to himself as he walked away. Thor was the next to speak. "You will join us, yes?"

"I guess I kinda have to," Bruce grumbled, though Estrial could see that he was slightly excited for the get together.

Then, Thor's eyes landed expectantly on Loki and Estrial. Before the God of Mischief could respond with a firm 'no', however, Estrial smiled and answered innocently, "what the hell; why not?"

Loki closed his eyes for a moment and took a deep breath, then forced a smile. "Yes, what she said."

Thor chuckled at his brother's fluster. "Great, I should get back to the kitchen now," he affirmed, then left the others. Thor had been baking all afternoon, and he was getting quite good. He really had meant it when he'd said it before; he really did enjoy baking.

Bruce looked down at the ground. For a moment, silence was heavy and tense, then he spoke up. "Well, I guess I'll..see you guys later," he spoke awkwardly, then walked back into the lab.

"Right..see you...later," Loki responded just as awkwardly. Once Bruce was out of hearing range, the demigod turned to Estrial and asked, "I thought you'd decided that parties aren't something you enjoy?"

"I did," Estrial replied plainly before explaining on, "but I want to spend time with my friends."

Lokis chuckled as the two began to walk toward the elevator. "You spend time with them every day, Essy," he reminded her, glancing down to the star at his side. Her pail skin reflected the sunlight so elegantly when she wasn't in her natural star state. Yet when she was, she seemed to absorb the sunlight instead, making her shine even brighter. Loki couldn't decide which was more beautiful.

But she didn't meet his gaze as she often did when speaking to someone. Estrial simply stared ahead as she muttered, "I mean all of them, together." There was a small pause in which only their own footsteps could be heard. Then, the star added on to her reasoning. "It is important to me," she said quietly, "..and to you."

Loki frowned as they stepped into the elevator and pressed the button that would take them to the floor their room was on. "If it is what you wish, I won't question," Loki spoke gentlemanly, then quickly defended himself, "but I can assure you: it isn't important to me."

Estrial watched the floor levels change as they slowly rose higher in the building. "It will be," she insisted gently, a small smile on her lips, "one day."