One: Saved

Lena lay on a stretcher in an ambulance, her entire body aching. The world around her was fuzzy, and Kara wasn't by her side. Alex, on the other hand, fussed over her, muttering about how Sam and Ruby would kill her if Lena died, and Kara would fry her to a crisp. Lena fought for air, her throat feeling like it was closing up. It wasn't long before the world went black, her body going numb.

Meanwhile, Kara flew like a bullet to make it home, she needed clothes and a shower if she was going to wait at the hospital. She touched down on the fire escape and stepped inside, glancing around at her apartment. Lena had obviously been here. She'd left her computer open and cords surrounding it. Kara's pillow sat on the couch, and though it belonged on the bed, Kara didn't have time to care. She peeled off Alex's clothes, which she'd borrowed since she hadn't had pants. Alex thought ahead, as usual.

The suspense was killing her, not knowing if Lena was okay or not. She stepped into the shower, allowing the hot water to flow over her skin. The slightest bit of kryptonite in her blood remained, meaning she could feel the slightest shred of pain as the burning liquid soaked her hair and trailed down her back. Though Lena was in the hospital, and Kara knew she should be there, she allowed the water to run cold and her fingers to prune under the burning shower.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
After a long nap and too many potstickers for even Kara, the Kryptonian found herself by Lena's side, all because of Alex's overprotective hovering. She'd ended up at Kara's door, food in hand, and a worried frown on her face, then thrown clothes at her. When Kara was dressed, Alex had practically forced her into a chair and piled food onto her plate. Then, Alex drove Kara to the hospital, left her there, and promised Sam and Ruby would come by later.

Kara laced her fingers with Lena's, squeezing her eyes shut. The beeping of the monitor was driving her crazy, she wished she could filter it out. All she could do was listen harder, focusing on the sound of Lena's heart softly thumping to the same rhythm. She cursed herself silently for letting her guard down, being happy with someone for once. Damn it, Kara, remember what Jeremiah said? She kicked herself, lifting her head to stare at the ceiling. Lena's heartbeat quickened, her fingers tightening around Kara's hand. "Those who do not learn history are bound to repeat it." Slowly, emerald green eyes opened, and a soft groan escaped light pink lips.

"Now that's what a migraine feels like," Lena muttered, pinching the bridge of her nose between the thumb and middle finger of her free hand. Kara allowed a half smile to appear on her lips, her gaze still fixed on the ceiling.

"I guess I don't have to ask how you feel, then, do I?" Kara murmured.

"Like shit would be your answer, so not exactly. How about you?" Lena asked. She brushed some hair out of her face before attempting to sit up.

"Gonna be worse if you tear your stitches." Kara sighed.

"Look at me!" Lena exclaimed. "I'm okay, see? I'm right here, and I'm just fine."

"I know, I just..." Kara trailed off, shaking her head. "I don't know."

"Yes, you do. Come on, tell me." Lena smiled softly, tugging on Kara's hand.

"I watched you take a bullet for me." A single tear traced its way down her cheek, opening the floodgates. "And just everything happened all over again, like the time Alex was kidnapped, J'onn almost died, and Winn, and James, and just everyone I love gets hurt, and I thought this was different, that we would be okay, but now we're here, and I can't." Kara sobbed. "I can't watch you get hurt again, and it was my fault."

"Kara." Lena insisted. The blonde looked to her lover with misty eyes, more grey than blue now, like the water from her tears was absorbing all their color. "Who chased you without backup? Me. Who underestimated Lex? Me. Who put herself in front of a gun? Me. This is my own fault, and that's okay. Look at me. I'm fine. We are fine."

"It's my fault, I'm sorry."

"Hey, it's not your fault. Don't be sorry."

"I'm sorry." Kara dropped her head against Lena's stomach, tears soaking through the blanket.

"Come here, love." Lena shifted over in her bed, pulling Kara closer. "It's okay."

Kara rested her head on Lena's chest, Lena's arms wrapping around her waist. Her whole body shook with every breath until she was out of tears and too exhausted to hold her eyes open.

A/N: Did you miss me??? (Tallarna, you're biased, babe.)