Eleven: Sister Day and the Perfect Ring

Alex and Kara drove the Suburban to a small town a few minutes away from the cabin. They ate breakfast at a hole-in-the-wall diner and walked down Main Street, window shopping, and laughing all morning until they reached the cute little jewelry shop Kara remembered from one of the Danvers family vacations. The owner, a little old man, sat at the front counter, reading a book.

"Hi," Kara chimed, as she and Alex entered the shop. The man shut his book abruptly, studying the two women.

"Hello, welcome in." The old man smiled. "Are you looking for anything specific?"

"I'm looking for an engagement ring." Kara managed, fidgeting with her fingers. "For my girlfriend."

"Oh, to be young and in love. I remember when my husband proposed." The old man smiled. "Come, over here." Kara followed him to a glass case of rings. She and Alex looked over the rings, Alex attempting to point some out that Kara would like, only to be shot down.

"Are you looking for a different stone?" Alex asked.

"Turquoise," Kara muttered, scanning the blue-stoned rings.

"I have one in mind." The old man smiled, pulling a ring from the case. "This one's one of my favorites. Not turquoise, peacock sapphire. About three and a half carats, cushion cut, framed with diamonds and on a rose gold ring."

"That's it." Kara nodded. "Lena's gonna love it." Alex smiled softly at the huge smile on her sister's face. Kara's excitement made the old man chuckled, placing the perfect ring into a black velvet box.

"I hope she says yes." He handed over the box as he began to ring them up (at a severely discounted price) and send them off.

"I think we should get celebratory ice cream," Alex announced. Kara's already big smile grew impossibly bigger and blue eyes brightened like blazing comets.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Lena practically jumped off the couch when the front door swung open, revealing her girlfriend and Alex, both carrying tubs of ice cream. Kara dropped her cartons and wrapped her arms around Lena's waist. She was wearing Kara's old Midvale High sweater that was so big it practically fell to her knees. Lena pressed a chaste kiss on Kara's lips, earning a pout as the superhero attempted to chase her lips for more.

"Baby," Kara whined, and Lena melted, placing a longer kiss on Kara's lips.

"Better?" Lena asked, pulling away. Kara nodded happily, reaching for a tub of ice cream.

"They had your favorite." She chimed, presenting Lena with chocolate fudge ice cream and two spoons.

"Ooh, I love you." Lena smiled brightly, taking the offering happily. "You want me to share, don't you?"

"Please?" Kara asked.

"Fine." Lena relented, giggling at Kara's excited smile. They settled into the couch, Kara cuddled into Lena's side like a puppy.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

After everyone was finished with their ice cream, Alex made sandwiches and dragged Kara onto the porch to talk, giving Sam a nod to set their plan into motion. Lena ran upstairs to set up, managing to finish before Kara was even done eating (a true accomplishment). Meanwhile, Alex got Kara talking.

"How are you planning on doing this?" She asked, leaning back in her chair.

"A night in, I think. Make her dinner, maybe a movie." Kara shrugged.

"Cute." Alex nodded.

"I just want to marry her, Alex. I love her so damn much." Kara smiled, taking a huge bite of her sandwich.

"I think the feeling's mutual." Alex managed to hold back a laugh.

"I know it is. Yesterday, she said she wanted to marry me and have a big wedding and kids." Kara beamed, practically bouncing in her seat.

"It was grouped in with reasons not to give Winn money." Alex teased.

"Doesn't change how cute she is talking about life plans. Or just talking. Or doing nothing. She's just cute all the time." Kara giggled, kicking her feet like a four-year-old.

"Hey, love, Sam and I are going to run to the store. It seems we underestimated the amount of milk a family of superheroes uses." Lena chimed, poking her head out of the door.

"You should've texted us. We could've gotten some." Kara frowned as Lena made her way over.

"It's fine. We'll get it." Lena insisted.

"Are you sure? I could just fly to town." Kara replied.

"Kara, it's like ten minutes round trip. It's not a big deal." Lena chuckled.

"I know, but-" Lena pressed her lips against Kara's, effectively quieting the blonde.

"You keep your sister day going. I'll be back." Lena pulled away, running her thumb across Kara's cheek.

"One more." Kara insisted, pulling Lena in for a long kiss.

"I love you." Lena murmured.

"I love you, too."