Eight: Car Rides and Crazy Ideas

Dedicated to KylRuru

Kara threw her hair into a ponytail as she waited for Lena, double-checking their bags for the week. Kara, Lena, Alex, Sam, Brainy, James, Winn, J'onn, and Kara's new intern, Nia, were headed to a cabin in the woods for a vacation and a distraction from the Catco interview launching on Tuesday. Eliza and Ruby were driving up after the weekend to give Alex and Sam a little time with their friends. Lena exited the bedroom in a pair of sweatpants and a sports bra.

"Where's your hoodie?" She pouted. Kara handed it to her with a smirk.

"Change of plans, let's stay here and just make out," Kara announced, placing her hands on Lena's hips.

"As much as I love that idea, your entire family is waiting downstairs," Lena replied, her breath hot against Lena's lips.

"Well, then we'd better get going," Kara smirked, stepping back, slinging one bag over her shoulder, and wheeling the other behind her.

"You got sunscreen?" Lena asked, taking Kara's hand on the way out the door.

"I have everything we need, babe, promise. I have your clothes, my clothes, and all the things you threw at my head from the bathroom. I'm amazing at this.." Kara smiled, dropping Lena's hand to lock the door.

"You are?" Lena asked, holding up Kara's wallet.

"Right, that." Kara took the wallet and draped an arm over Lena's shoulders. "I did bring my jean jacket, just in case. I don't get cold easily, but you do, and I really wanna give you my jacket like a cheesy movie."

"I let you watch too much TV." Lena chuckled. "We're staying at a cabin. I packed sweatshirts, too."

"Like you'll wear them. You steal mine." Kara laughed, motioning to the sweatshirt Lena had stolen. Lena poked her tongue out at her girlfriend jokingly as they made their way to the elevator.

Lena was right about their friends waiting for them downstairs. Alex and Sam's van was parked right outside the door, Alex sitting shotgun and Sam in the driver's seat. Nia and Brainy sat in the back, Nia already giggling at Brainy's stories. Kara opened the door for her girlfriend and they settled into the middle row.

"Hi, Nia, I'm glad you decided to come." Kara chimed as Lena settled into her side.

"Thanks for the invitation," Nia replied shyly.

"Everyone's gonna love you, promise." Kara insisted as Sam took off.

"Is Ruby with Eliza, Alex?" Lena asked.

"Yeah, she's super excited for a couple of nights with Grandma. Eliza wanted to take her shopping because she's going to get a three-bedroom apartment in the city, in case you two have kids, and Ruby'll have her own room." Sam explained with a smile.

"Eliza's expecting us to have kids? Like soon enough that she has another room for them?" Lena asked.

"No. She got an extra room just in case she needs it. It's not a 'give me grandchildren' room, it's an 'I think having enough space is a good idea' room." Alex replied.

"Do you not want kids?" Kara asked quietly.

"I do, but not now. It's a little early for that, dear." Lena answered simply.

"Our kids would be so cute." Kara sighed.

"Very." Lena smiled, placing a kiss on Kara's lips. Kara responded immediately, turning sideways in her seat.

"Are they making out?" Alex asked, shaking her head.

"The real question is when aren't they making out?" Nia chimed from the backseat.

"I like her." Alex laughed, leaning over the center console to place a kiss on Sam's cheek

"Thank you." Nia giggled.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

J'onn, James, and Winn were already at the cabin when the group arrived, stocking the fridge. Alex hugged J'onn before heading upstairs to claim a room, earning an "Aww, space dad," from Winn. Kara refused to let Lena carry anything, and loaded her arms with everyone's bags just to stop her. The boys had already claimed a room with two sets of bunk beds, leaving three rooms for all of the girls. Alex was upstairs first and stole the biggest one for her and Sam, Nia took the smallest, and Kara set their bags in the last room. Lena stayed downstairs, helping to fill the cabinets and start on dinner. As soon as everyone had set their bags down and freshened up, they joined the party downstairs and attempted to stay out of Lena and J'onn's way.

Kara sat on a stool at the counter to keep the chefs company while they cooked. Sam started handing out beer and making drinks, handing them out to everyone. Alex sat next to her sister with a beer and a wide grin.

"I know something you don't know," Alex chimed.

"What's that?" Kara asked, her eyes following Lena as she moved from the stove to the sink.

"I think Brainy and Nia are hitting it off," Alex smirked, nodding at Nia, who was still chatting with Brainy.

"This isn't something you know. Come out on the deck with me?" Kara asked, already heading outside.

"You're generally supposed to wait for an answer," Alex teased, settling into one of the deck chairs.

"I'm thinking about proposing." Kara blurted out, pacing up and down the deck.

"Slow down, what?" Alex asked, stopping Kara in her place.

"I've known her for three years and been in love with her the whole time and ignored it. Now she's my girlfriend, Alex! I can't exactly explain it, but I see her and my whole body smiles. She smiles and it's like my heart explodes, and I want to see that every day forever. I love her so much. I've never felt...like this." Kara rambled on, finally stopping to actually feel the words that had been running through her head for weeks.

"Do you have a ring?" Alex asked gently. Kara shook her head, fiddling with her hands.

"I brought you out here to call me crazy. Just tell me I'm crazy and we can pretend I'm not moving at lightning speed right now." Kara threw her head back as she spoke, her eyes squeezing shut.

"Hey, look at me. This isn't a bad thing. This is a good thing, really good." Alex reassured her.

"Alex, this is too fast, why do I feel like it isn't?" Kara asked.

"Kar, two months and three years. Remember when I caught you flirting three years ago? She was single for three years. She was single a little before you met, and she waited for you."

"Yeah, we were friends, but making out and hanging out are two very different things," Kara argued.

"Kara, stop talking yourself out of it! She loves you." Alex insisted.

"Down the road from the lake, there's this little jewelry shop." Kara murmured. "That's why I suggested this trip."

"We'll go tomorrow." Alex smiled, just as the back door was opening.

"Dinner's ready," Lena announced.

"I'll be in in a minute," Kara replied, turning to face away from her girlfriend. There was no way she could keep all of this shoved down while looking into those eyes.

"Tag, you're it." Alex joked, brushing past her future sister-in-law.

"Alex, you're thinking too loud." The couple heard as the door shut.

"Hey, what's up?" Lena asked, stepping in front of Kara.

"Just thinking too much," Kara admitted, shaking her head. "I'm fine."

"Do you want me to go?" Lena asked. Kara shook her head no. "Do you want to talk about it?" Kara shook her head again. "Okay." Lena took Kara's hand gently.