Two: Fight

After a month, Lena was released from the hospital. She still needed physical therapy and rest, but it was nice to sleep in her own bed. Kara moved in to take care of her happily, changing her dressings and making sure Lena slept and ate enough. Sam helped, too, she came over and cooked every once in a while, and took most of Lena's L-Corp responsibilities so that the CEO could focus on her recovery.

Other than that, the second Lena was home, life went back to normal. Lena woke up early for work, Kara stumbling out of the bedroom a half hour later because she couldn't sleep without her girlfriend. They would get ready together, then walk to work and meet at home. Evenings were calm and comfortable, early nights spent wrapped in each other's arms.

Tonight, in honor of Cat Grant's visit to National City, they were invited to a party. Well, Lena was invited. Cat had reverted to treating Kara like an assistant, rather than a reporter. Kara planned the entire party, then was told by Cat that she wasn't to send herself an invitation, because, "I'm sure you'll be Ms. Luthor's plus one." Kara had blushed at that, stuttering out a denial that was quickly dismissed when Lena entered the room, bearing food.

As they entered the party together, confirming Cat's theory, cameras flashed, snapping pictures of Kara with a protective arm around Lena's waist. Surely now the public would find out they were actually dating. Sam lingered near the doors, Alex by her side.

"You were invited to a Cat Grant party?" Lena asked, embracing her friend.

"I was in charge of the invitations. A couple extras can slip through without anyone noticing." Kara replied. "Besides, she wants to meet Alex officially."

"She wants to meet me?" Alex asked, an eyebrow raised.

"Yep, come on." Kara insisted, dragging her sister over to her boss, leaving Sam and Lena behind, laughing.

"She's something, isn't she?" Sam asked, a slight smile on her lips.

"Kara, Alex, or Cat Grant?" Lena giggled. "Because yes."

"I was talking about Kara. How are you two?" Sam smirked, proud of her segue.

"We're good. Kara's still a bit jumpy, but I'm better, just a little tired, and my stomach is almost healed." Lena shrugged, placing her hand over her wound.

"That's great. How's everything else?" Sam asked. She knew from experience how shitty it was to have your girlfriend kidnapped.

"Okay, I guess. Kara's been kind of distant, and I miss her. She's a million miles away sometimes, she'll be right next to me, but she's not there." Lena sighed. Kara was talking away with Alex, Cat smiling approvingly.

"I know how it can get. Alex used to have episodes where she would spend days in bed. She was so far away, so I talked her into therapy. It helped, but it took a lot to get her here." Sam smiled gently.

"We haven't talked much about the kidnapping. I'm afraid I'll piss her off, and..." Lena trailed off, the end of her sentence slicing through her throat like knives.

"Her powers." Sam finished, nodding in agreement.

"I love her, but I'm scared she'll start to hate me like she does Lex. If she hated me, I'd relapse. The cutting, the drinking, the drugs, all of it. She could throw me in jail or try to kill me, and I'd let her. Without her, I'd be so alone. Your family and her, that's all I've got. Alex would hate me, Ruby wouldn't understand, and you'd probably resent me at least a little bit." Lena met Sam's eyes, which were widened with fear.

"You think I would hurt you?"

Lena turned to see a teary Kara, the crinkle between her eyebrows evident as she attempted to maintain whatever composure she had left. Alex was a step behind her, arms crossed over her chest and eyebrows raised as she stared down her wife.

"Kara," Lena breathed, taking a step forward and cupping Kara's cheeks.

"Do you?" Kara asked, her voice breaking and giving away her feeling of betrayal.

"It's not that you would, I know you would never hurt me, it's that you can," Lena admitted, her hands falling to rest on Kara's shoulders.

"You think I would want you dead?"

"Kara," Lena begged. "Just, please let me explain."

"You do! Lena, I wouldn't...I love you. I can't believe you would think so little of me."

"Kara, please!" Lena's words came in sobs, her vision blurry with tears.

"No. Just...no. I'm going to go." Kara pulled out of Lena's grasp, and she was gone before Lena could chase after her.

"Kara!" Lena's knees threatened to give out, and she barely managed to steady herself with Sam's help.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
After Sam made up with her wife quickly, she escorted a very distraught Lena to her apartment. Kara still wasn't home, which prompted a panic attack and a long night of sobbing, which Sam stayed through. Lena was broken and much too vulnerable to be left alone. The apartment was clear of any alcohol and drugs, but there were knives and razor blades and lighters and so many things Sam didn't trust Lena with.

Kara wasn't home the next day, but Alex stopped by with food and news that Kara slept in the DEO, but Lena wouldn't eat, and she didn't speak, she just laid in bed with glossy eyes. Sam attempted to get her to drink water, but she just rolled over and pulled the covers up over her head. She didn't sleep when night came, just cried over the empty space in the bed next to her.

The next day was a harder fight than the one before, Lena getting up and moving around, resisting everything Sam did. An offer of a hug was turned down, pat on the shoulder shrugged off. Food was pushed away, and water was spilled on the floor. Lena was silent, deep in her thoughts as she moved about. Still, she remained in bed for most of the day, holding Kara's pillow.

The third day was the worst, Lena's stomach churning from the absence of food, her head swimming without water. She was silent except for grunts to turn down food and water if she couldn't cut or burn herself, at least she had this pain. Alex visited again. Kara was back at work and wanted to come back home, to talk, but Lena simply grunted when Alex mentioned it. She was tired, dizzy, and dehydrated. When she stood to go back to bed, she collapsed.