Nine: Games and Insanity

Kara and Lena cuddled up on the couch after dinner, stealing kisses now and then. Winn set Monopoly on the coffee table and Alex started a pot of coffee for a long night of laughter and losing. Lena felt like she was ready to fall asleep to the sound of Kara's heartbeat, but she accepted a warm mug and sipped at it to keep herself awake long enough to win. Ten minutes into the game, she wasn't asleep anymore. Sam was beating everyone by a landslide, and Alex was already in jail.

"You're going to jail." Kara laughed, pointing to Lena's piece.

"My whole family's in jail, can't that be enough?" Lena pouted.

"Baby, it's Monopoly." Kara laughed. Lena moved her piece to jail with a sigh, high-fiving Alex.

"Now my whole family's in jail. Feel better?" Kara asked.

"Not at all," Lena answered, giggling at Kara's attempt at consolation.

They played for what felt like days until Lena finally bought the last of the property and began buying hotels, effectively forcing Alex and Kara to mortgage all of theirs, and winning when Sam went broke. J'onn sent them all to bed affectionately, Kara and Alex staying behind to help him clean up. Coffee cups clinked and the water ran over a pile of dirty dishes as the Danvers sisters worked quietly.

"You both know I know, right?" J'onn asked, beginning to scrub dishes. "You can't hide things from me."

"I figured." Kara sighed from the living room, sorting game money, and stacking coasters. "Do you know if Lena knows? She seemed off."

"She has no clue," J'onn muttered, a half-smile on his face. There was no way he was spoiling this.

"I didn't, and I'm best there is at reading you," Alex added.

"I don't think that's true anymore, Alex. I think Lena's picking up on something. She's just... off. I can feel it." Kara explained, returning to the kitchen with a few glasses.

"Then talk to her," Alex replied. Kara rolled her eyes.

"Helpful." She deadpanned.

"And I will never give up best Kara reader." Alex insisted.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Lena sat on her and Kara's bed alone, imagining a thousand possible causes for Kara's earlier episode, the stupidest and most frequent being that she was being dumped. A knock on the door brought her out of her mind and she forced on a neutral expression and picked up her brush.

"Hey," Sam chimed, poking her head in. "You okay?"

"I'm fine." Lena plastered on a small smile in a futile attempt to send Sam off.

"Liar." Sam snorted, slipping into the room fully. "Talk."

"Kara was freaking out. I know she gets anxious when we leave the city, but what if it's not about the city? I know it's stupid and that she wouldn't, but I keep wondering if she's breaking up with me." Lena admitted.

"You're right, that is stupid. Kara's crazy about you." Sam nodded. "I've known her longer than you have, and she has never moved in with anyone. Never."

"I know." Lena sighed.

"So what's wrong?" Sam pushed Lena's shoulder gently.

"I got something." Lena stood, pulling something out of her back pocket. A black velvet box rested in the palm of her hand.

"I'm flattered, but I'm married, Lena." Sam teased, taking the box to see inside. It was an engagement ring, emerald.

"She has me set as 'Emerald Eyes' on her phone, I thought it was cute that the ring would remind me of her," Lena explained. "I designed it. Emerald with emerald cut, white gold band, three little diamonds on each side of the main stone."

"It's beautiful. She'll love it." Sam smiled.

"I even asked Alura for her permission. I had to explain Earth's customs, but she said yes."

"And so will Kara," Sam assured her, shutting the box.

"I hope so." Lena sighed, shoving the ring box into the pocket of one of her sweatshirts in the suitcase.

"I know so." Sam insisted.

Kara opened the bedroom door, unsurprised by Sam sitting on her bed.

"Hey, Sam." She chimed, then placed a kiss on Lena's cheek.

"If you're done, I'm going to see my wife. Night, guys." Sam left the room, leaving the two useless gays to talk about their feelings.

"What's wrong?" Kara asked.

"Nothing's wrong, why'd you ask that?" Lena asked, receiving a knowing look.

"Sure," Kara smirked.

"You had a freakout, I was worried and I'm paranoid. Sam talked me down. I'm okay." Lena sighed.

"I was worried about the city. Thought I heard something. Alex talked me down." Kara smiled, leaning forward so that her nose was almost touching Lena's.

"So we're okay?" Lena murmured, her eyes focused on Kara's lips unabashedly.

"I think so," Kara smiled, her hands slipping into Lena's back pockets. Lena gasped quietly as Kara pulled her closer.

"Yeah," Lena whispered, her breath fanning across Kara's lips. Kara pulled ber bottom lip between her teeth, determined not to lose this contest of sorts. "That's my job," Lena pouted, and Kara broke, slamming their lips together full force. Lips danced together passionately and Lena pulled Kara's bottom lip between her teeth.

Kara pulled away, Lena chasing her lips. "I will not have sex with you while sharing a wall with J'onn." She insisted.

"He won't hear us," Lena whined.

"I can read minds!" J'onn shouted, wanting to bang his head against the wall. Lena's face flushed a deep red as Kara burst into laughter.