Prologue

It was customary for every Alpha to welcome each new pup born in his or her pack and Alpha Andrew Alexander Silvis felt especially compelled to welcome the arrival of his late friend's daughter.

Dean Forrester had been a best friend of Andrew, and Beta Nolan since the diaper days. They had grown up together and had caused the previous Luna, Andrew's mother, much stress. At 20 he had met his lovely mate (something Andrew was quite jealous of) Fallon, and the couple was immediately expecting their first child. When Fallon was six months pregnant, Dean had driven to a nearby pack for training. On the way home his car had veered off the road and hit a tree. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

We're here Alpha. The Beta had broken Andrew out of his trance. The doors to the hospital wing were so close, yet so far. He did not want to do this. He didn't know if he had it in him to see Fallon's dead eyes. Once your mate dies, you might as well be as good as dead. The only thing keeping Fallon alive was the piece of Dean that he left behind.

He walked up to the room that he was told Fallon was checked into. 128. He knocked three times and waited for a nurse to open the door.

"Alpha, Beta" The pack doctor, Dr. John Hammond, opened the door. The man was nearing 75 years old and looked very tired and worn out. It was a miracle that he had not retired yet, but the pack needed him.

Andrew looked into the room to see the bed made.

"Where's Fallon and the baby?" He was getting annoyed. How could anyone working under him be incompetent enough to provide him with false information. It was minor, but as an alpha, he required accurate information at all times.

"Did no one tell you?" No. "Fallon is currently in surgery. It seems that losing her mate drained the life out of her."

Damn it. Andrew tried to keep his cool. This would have been useful to know a while ago, yet he knew he couldn't make a scene here. Many alphas think that their outbursts make them more manly. Andrew, on the other hand, believed that true masculinity was shown through restraint. Only strong leaders could control their emotions. And their wolves.

"Thank you Doctor. I will make my way over there." He smiled politely. He had started to become antsy and wanted nothing more than to see Fallon and her baby girl.

~~~{ }~~~

Andrew had been sitting in the waiting room of the surgery wing for over three hours. The plain white walls and grey linoleum floors had begun to annoy him. He had a piles of paperwork stacked on his desk, but he felt that this was more important. Way more important.

"Alpha, you can go back to the pack house. We will mind link you when she's out." The receptionist looked annoyed with him. He couldn't blame her. For the past three hours he had done nothing other that pace back and forth, let out a few growls, and tap his heel constantly. He couldn't leave, not now.

"No no it's alright. I'm fine where I am, thank you." That came out harsher than expected. Just as he was about to get up to continue his pacing, the surgical doctor, Dr. Henry Anderson, emerged from the doors with a grim look on his face.

"Alpha I am so sorry. I did what I could, but she would not cooperate. Losing Dean had a harder toll on her than we thought." Henry bowed his head at his Alpha; it was a grim day in Silvis Pack. Fallon Forrester, mate to the late Dean Forrester, had died before she could even hold her child.

"What should we do with the child?" Andrew had been so consumed in his grief, he had not noticed that his beta had entered the room.