Chapter 28 - Meet Me in the Bathroom

Astrid was sitting across from a calm looking Dr. von H, his full last name was too tiresome to pronounce.

The old man had called her aside after dinner and Astrid knew what he was going to tell her.

     "Astrid, do you know why I called you in here?"

     Well duh.

     "I have an idea."

     "You've made significant improvements over your course here and I'd hate to see that derailed by frivolous rumors."

     "I mean I did kiss him, but that was all."

     Why would you say that?

     Dr. von Habsburg cleared his throat and shifted in his seat, obviously uncomfortable by what she had just said. He wasn't there to play therapist.

     "Regardless of the validity of these rumors I want you to assure me that you'll stay on track. I know you hate it here Astrid, and I want to make a deal."

     Now she was intrigued.

     "A deal?"

     "Yes, if you continue to excel this semester I could recommend to your mate that you need not come back next year. But that's only if I continue to see significant change in your behavior."

     Astrid tried to stay calm but on the inside she was bursting with excitement. She could have a normal senior year with her friends. Prom, graduation, all of that was within her grasp. She just had to stay out of trouble for a few months.

     But would it be worth it?

     Pierce was her closest friend, her confidant, and now he has a mate. There was no way they could hang out nearly as much as they did before. And her other friends sucked. Not once did the text her to ask where she had been. They just let her disappear.

     "I'm not so sure I have anything to go back to."

     The Dean looked at her puzzled.

     "Well surely you must have someone to go back to. According to your records you seem to have been very popular at your old school."

     Astrid huffed and crossed her arms.

     "Well out of all of my so called friends I've only talked to one, and he's now the mate of Achilles. So no, I'm not sure I have something to go to."

      He raised his eyebrows. "Oh Achilles found her mate? I must call her in later to congratulate her-" He stopped his rambling once he realized that he was at a meeting for Astrid. "Right, well I know you don't like it here and it seems that you don't like it there. If I were you, I'd find a place to like before this year ends. You need to find a place with your people."

     "Well I don't necessarily hate it here. Maybe in the beginning, but not now. Although, with these rumors I may find a new reason to dislike it."

     "Then let's rethink this deal. You find out where you want to be and I'll help you get there. If it's at the academy then you're more than welcome to stay, but if it's elsewhere I won't tie you here."

     "That's not what you said all those months ago."

     "You're a different person now and I have no doubt in my mind that once this year is over you will be ready to be a Luna."

     It began as a chuckle and then progressed into full blown laughter. Astrid wasn't becoming a Luna any time soon. Her pack skills were still abysmal, even if her fighting improved tremendously.