Chapter 23 - And Nothing But the Truth so Help Me Goddess

Astrid woke up in a white room. She knew that she was in the pack infirmary and she wondered how she got there. The day had been fine until she found out that Achilles sent a photo of Astrid and Andrew kissing to the whole school. Everything after that was hazy.

Had I blacked out?

She looked over and saw Andrew sitting in a chair looking out the window. She knew he was angry for some reason as his shoulders were tense and his posture was stiff. However, his side profile revealed that he was worried for her. Then again she had woken up in a hospital bed.

"A... Andrew?" Astrid's throat was scratchy and she was in desperate need of some water. Andrew walked over and handed her a cup that was on a side table. She had drank the water down quickly.

"I'm happy you woke up. It's only been a half hour but I was worried." Andrew's face looked less stressed as Astrid continued to drink the water in the cup.

Cautiously, as if not knowing what to say, Andrew formulated the next question carefully.

"Do you remember what happened earlier?"

Astrid bit her lip. She had no idea whether or not she should tell Andrew what had happened. On one hand, it would expose the bizarre and intricate lie that she and Achilles had established. On the other, Astrid could exorcise a demon from her life.

"Achilles and I were walking to the pack party. And then we got into a fight." Astrid took in a deep breath and looked Andrew in the eye. She saw that he wanted her to continue, and so she did. "Achilles saw something... between us... that she shouldn't have seen. After that I blacked out."

Andrew took a few seconds to mull over what she had said.

"So... your friend saw us kissing?"

Astrid put her head down and nodded.

"And instead of explaining things to her, you decided to almost kill her?"

That does sound crazy doesn't it.

"She may have taken a picture. And she may have sent it to the school." Astrid rushed out the last part in a quiet tone, not really wanting him to hear what she said.

"She what?" Andrew was angry now and Astrid had no idea if the anger was directed at her for kissing him or at Achilles for invading their privacy.

"Look Andrew if I knew she would see I wouldn't have kissed you."

"No Astrid. It's not your fault. How could someone who was your friend betray you like that?"

"She may not exactly be a friend." Astrid muttered to keep Andrew from hearing, yet he heard her again. Why do I even bother?

"What do you mean she isn't a friend. What about all the stories? You brought her home with you." Andrew looked genuinely confused and Astrid understood where he was coming from.

"I don't know why she wanted to come home with me. We had no plans of coming home together, but this girl she... she hates me. Like she loathes me and I don't understand why! She's been out to get me since my first day at the Academy. But then she walked up to us and you looked so happy that I had made a friend that I didn't want to disappoint you because all I do is disappoint you." Astrid was in tears by the end of her rant. She didn't want to break down but her emotions had been buried for too long.

Through the tears in her eyes she looked at Andrew but he was looking away. He looked ashamed of himself.

"Look Astrid, you don't disappoint me ok? You don't have to pull an elaborate scheme for me to be proud of you. I am proud of you." He smiled at her and pulled her into a hug. They sat like that for a while before Dr. Hammond came in to check on Astrid.

     The old doctor had informed Astrid that she had passed out due to stress and that she should try to stay stress free. Gee thanks doc. Great advice!

     Once Dr. Hammond had left, Andrew mind-linked Jules and told her to bring clothes for Astrid. He and Astrid had to have a serious talk with the Achilles girl. While she had been badly beaten, she was still conscious so she could answer his questions.

~~~{ }~~~

     "Alpha, Luna. If I knew you were coming I would have spruced up the place." Achilles had a smirk on her face. Her wounds were healing, but there were still bruises and Astrid found comfort in knowing that she caused them.

     "Achilles, let us know why you sent that picture to your classmates." Andrew was using his alpha voice and Achilles squirmed a bit. She looked uncomfortable.

     "It's just that... you know the rumors. A much older alpha taking in his friends young child and said alpha has yet to find a mate. That's hot gossip."

     Astrid scoffed at Achilles' confession.

    "Hot gossip? Achilles this is my life. It isn't for your entertainment."

     Achilles rolled her eyes and frowned.

     "Oh please Astrid. Don't act all high and mighty now. Don't you know how many people you've used for your entertainment. What about that boy you call after curfew?"

Forgetting who was in the room, Astrid responded.

"Who I talk to in my room is none of your business."

"I'm the hall monitor. It becomes my business when you're breaking curfew to talk to a human."

Before Astrid could rebuttal, Andrew had cleared his throat effectively draining the blood from Astrid's face.

"Astrid I'd like to see you in my office please."

Astrid glared at Achilles while Achilles stuck her tongue out in victory. As Astrid and Andrew walked to his office, Andrew paused and looked back at Achilles as if forgetting something.

"Your parents and your alpha are one their way here. Once they arrive I will inform them of what you've done and they will punish you how I see fits."